1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to this site

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Linda, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Linda

Linda Junior Member
    from PA

Hi everybody:

Just found this site and have been reading the many posts. Very interesting topics.

My late husband started plowing in 1989 in conjunction with his general contracting business. Then in 1992 he had a terrible accident and his health just went down hill. He passed away April 2002.

Since I helped him run the snow plowing business, I felt very capable of continuing it now. So far so good.

I use subs, many of which have been with me for many years without any problems, for which I am thankful!!!

The only difficulty I am having is finding Commercial General Liability Insurance. Most insurance companies don't want to insure someone with just subs. Had one quote for over $9000. (this is not a typo). Can anyone here point me in a direction for insurance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Linda

PS How do you use the "smilies"??

2. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Linda,
    I'm not a huge operation but I think that $9,000 is outrageous. I pay $750.00 for my real estate office and snow removal equipment which includes coverage on my CAT loader. Believe it or not that is thru State Farm Ins. That does not include workman's comp. I would see if someone on this site is also in your state and get the name of another company that they use.

3. PlowPig

PlowPig Junior Member

Hey Linda, First let me address Timm9. Tim if you have State Farm providing you commericial insurance your doing pretty good for State farm of Va will not write commericial policys. Linda, keep in mind that you said the magic word. General Contractor. Not sure how you are set up but most smaller guys/companies confuse general liability insuranse with a marine insurance policy on their equipment which is by far two seperate issues.The marine riders are fine for private industry but as soon as you plow for the local, state, or federal goverments you need your general insurance policy. $9000.00 is not all that crasy for the general...I pay over 6900.00 and the marine policy is less than 1500.00. What state are you located in.. Ken :cool:

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!! :waving:
    First let me say I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. :salute: Insurance rates vary everywhere. From what I've heard, Erie is probably the cheapest. To use smiles, all you do is click on the one you want. :nod: :waving:

5. Linda

Linda Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded. :)

I am located in PA. Erie and State Farm are probably the worst insurance companies around. I've my own personal experience with Erie and have heard horror stories about State Farm.

I guess I will have to keep looking.

Linda

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

TRy PEKIN insurance company.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

State Farm nor Allstate will write Commercial policies for snow plowing out of Illinois either.

State Farm is also reducing or eliminating its home owners policies as well in some states because of loss' in Flori-duh.

8. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite!!!!!!!!!!! :waving:

9. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

- SIDE NOTE.. called state farm yesterday to see if they would be any cheaper on my homeowners than my current allstate of $347 yr.. state farm wanted over $1200 !!! :realmad:

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Eggsactly why I dropped them. I had 22 years with them including my trucks(always 2 at times 3).

3 claims in all those years 2 for windshields. 1 clim on house after tornado ripped up roof and fence and a few windows.

Last year I got a notice of rate increase that went from $475 a year to almost $2k a year on the homeowners. I moved all policies then to Allstate.

I got a call from the agent a week later begging me to bring my auto policies back as they had no increase. I explained that nither had my home owners policy over all those years and I could not trust a company that did that to a over 20 year holder of multi policies.

That is when he explained the Flori-duh fiasco and how by raising the rates as they are it weeds out most of the policies and the ones willing to pay the increase are paying for those loss' in Flori-duh. I then proceeded to tell him how unfair and maybe illeagal that sounds and would never do buisness with them again.

Way off subject I know of the thread but inner discussions are formed that way.

11. drplow

drplow Senior Member

try erie insurance, they seem to be the best price if you dont have many claims or any. state farm is high and allstate too. but the best service i have ever had was allstate, combined with an excellent agent though.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Here in Ontario, I found State Farm to be very reasonable.

I was paying about $750 Cdn. per year for snow contractor insurance (liability) but they bumped it to $950 this year, quoting blanket increases across the board :mad: There's not much I can do about that. I figure it's not hard for me to make up the difference.

Looks like its probably going to go up another hundred to hundred and fifty more because they have my equipment listed as value $1200 (not including the truck)... wtf were they thinking? Didn't ask me for a value.

They also told me I was one of the last new policies to be issued in Ontario-- SF was no longer taking on new contracts.

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I use Auto Owners for my carpentry liability, and snow is an add on. Its very cheap actually. They do not cover my comp that is threw Travelers. Both these companys are strickly commercial. The key is the add on policy, try it as a landscaper looking for a snow add on. One other company that I hear good things about is American Family.
    Todd

14. HIGGINSTRUCKING

HIGGINSTRUCKING Junior Member

I also Have snow as an add on to my trucking co. I deal with a independent agent and he does all the leg work of finding the cheapist and best coverage
    I use him for general and comm. auto they also got me cheap finaceing for both found him in the yellow pages :jester: