1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to this site.. hey guys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hey guys I am new to this site and I'm sure its as helpfull as lawn site has been. My question is I am starting to go out on my own more this season, however it is nice knowing that the company I sub from has a lot of accounts and if I break down I can usually be back on the road within the next few hours baring any major breakdowns. But I think after 2 years I should be making more than $27.00/hr. For those who are subs how much roughly are you making? Question 2 is I did some landscaping for a video store and they want me to put in a bid for plowing there are 2 lots equal in size, "L" shaped new lots aprox. 50-75yrds long total and aprox. 30yrds wide. They want the sidewalks cleared each time also. The manager told me if I bid around 30-35 dollars I should be close to what they want to pay. I was thinking more like 55-65 per time, any thoughts?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

$27/hr?? Are you kidding? Not even close. If you are using your own truck, you should be getting $50-$60 anywhere in the US. Some are more.

Pass on bidding the video store. Tell him to call you for a bid when he's serious.

3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

$27 an hour ??? wow
    i make $50 an hour as a sub and thats very low pay in my area . i get tons of extra hours though so it evens out.
    as for bidding on that lot ... im a sub i don't do bidding but i can tell you that there is no way in hell the company i work for would touch that lot for $35 . hell i doubt they would even plow the lot without clearing the sidewalks and no salt for less then $100.

run and i do mean RUN from that video store. the owner wants nothing more then to rip you off.

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

we pay first year plowers 35.00 which is a little low but we give them a lot of hours and experience. a sub with experience will make between 45-60 per hour based on reliability and equipment.

5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i also ment to say that i wouldn't drop my plow for 35.00 that is way to chaep for me, if you go on yuor own you will need to get general liabilty insurance and that will cost you more than you could ever make on a 35.00 charge

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome aboard Brian,
    OMG 27 an hour yikes. You could work at Mickey D's and make more once you factor out the cost of overhead on one truck. Plus you dont need to get out of bed at 2:30 am. Sub priceing is regional just as hourly rates are. If you have experience and a dependable truck with an 8' blade demand no less then 50 an hour. Guys out east claim they get 90 an hour but that is probally for drop time only. Not sure were your at.
    I think the manager is looking to save money, so ask him for an RFP and sit down and figure up a fair and proper price and put it in a proposal and sell it to him ! Guys here can help you with the details so you dont get burned. Good luck
    Todd

7. Brian Young

Thanks guys for all the input, Yes I have 4 years commercial experience never a wreck or anything, knock on wood! Its so hard to say what guys are getting around here everyone is so hush hush about it. So I don't know what the hell to bid. Last season I bid on a church lot it had 2 50yrd by 25yrd parking lots and one that was about 75yrds by 40yrds and clear all sidewalks and the winning bid was $95.00 per time, I bid that one at $145.00/time. So I always feel I'm bidding too high. :gunsfiring:

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

where in pa are you located . subs in the phila area make between 65- 75 dollars an hour
    john

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Brian:

I am going to guess that the church could be plowed in 45 minutes. If you have someone with you to do the sidewalks while you are plowing thats great but to have your truck sitting while you are doing sidewalks is just to expensive. This is how some of these places are being done cheap. Having a shoveller making $10/hr. allows you to be more aggressive with your bidding. A friend of mine does 80 houses,all sidewalks and in front of the garage doors. His route is 8 to 10 hours and his helper makes $100 cash per night. We have on average 18 to 20 snowfalls, so he pays his helper $2,000 for the season and he bills out $24,000. Some people around here think he is to cheap but he is making $100/hr.

10. Brian Young

CARDOCTOR, I am in Erie Pa right on the lake. We averaged about almost 40 times out last season and it wasn't a great winter. I did sub work where one lot were if there was a half inch of snow we plowed it. :dizzy: don't ask me why but we did.
    Wow you guys so far are very helpfull, thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2005
  11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Seems around here its based on your blade width. $10 per foot. I have a 8.5' so its $85. So when I get my 8611 in straight wings its $110. With the wing in scoop, its $125. Most guys get $75 an hour since they have a 7.5' blade. But my kubota tractor also get $75 a hour too. its only has a 5' blade and 4' snow blower.

12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

50 to 65 an hour here is pretty much the going rate. Unless your a supervisor they get an extra 10. As far as the blizzard goes nobody around here pays extra for one. Most guys dont even know what one looks like. A ten foot blade is on medium duty truck, they get about 85.
    Im just north of Chicago.
    Todd