1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to this site, and new to plowing!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigpoppa, Aug 12, 2003.

1. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Junior Member

I was recently given a 1979 ford f-150 300-6cyl. longbox w/7ft. western hydroturn plow(older plow). The truck is rusted but runs excellent, plow works great except the T-handle control is broke. Up and down is fine, but when you try to turn the cable moves freely(control box is cracked). The money for a new control box is worth more than the truck!lol Will the newer style 4-way joysticks that are cable work?? are the the same set up?? or if anyone has a decent used one or part I would appreciate any help.
  2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Welcome to PlowSite.I have a 79 F-350 with a 7.5' meyers and it will plow anything you put in front of it,it plows better than all my other trucks.I think if its a cable control it will work.
  3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite:waving: I would think that the newer cable control would work, but am not posotive. Could you JB weld the box?? otherwise try ebay for a used box.
  4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

T- Handle Parts

Welcome to Plowsite
    I'm sure you will enjoy the company of all the other plowers.
    I have still have a few used parts for that old T-handle control.
    Let me know what you need and maybe I can help you out.
    :rolleyes: John...............
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:
  6. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Junior Member

Thanx for the warm welcoming!!

Thanx everyone that replied so quickly to my post. I am in awe at all the helpful info on this site for someone just getting into plowing like myself. Very Helpful. I did try JB weld but it didnt hold. Garagekeeper will hopefully be able to help me out with parts to replace and I'll be ready to go for this winter!! yeehaa.
    I got the truck last fall so I practiced last winter on friends and family's driveways and found myself watching the weather channel in hopes of snow EVERY night!!! I was shocked by the power a '79 F-150 with a 300 straight six with 175,000 miles and a granny gear and how easily it moved ALOT of snow! I was wondering about a few other Q & A's I had:
    I did add a rubber flap across the the top of the plow this summer(noticed quite a few guys around town had them to deflect the snow) but I was wondering about making or buying end caps(don't know what they're really called) to help direct the snow on wide driveways or lots?? Also, I dont know how old the pump is but it doesnt leak yet, are there kits to freshen them or routine maint. I should do in the summer and fall month preparing for winter?? thanx again for all the help!
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Draining and flushing the fluid will help.Go over everything else to make sure it's tight,lubed,and adjusted correctly.

As for the truck,front end,u-joints,linkages and everything else should be kept well lubed,and in good condition.

You could add a set of Pro wings to help widen the plow,or you can use Turk key wings to form a pusher box.Both work well.

Do a search on wings,you'll find lots of good info.
  8. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Chris: do you have those turkey wings??? or something homemade? I seen a pic of something homemade here, also your plow extenders. Are those plow extenders on your 3/4 ton dodge? My goal by the end of summer is to make some extenders and a " turkey wing mock" interchangeable like the way you did your plow extenders.
  9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite:waving:
  10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Walt - I have fabricated extensions that I made up for some of our trucks.The removable ones are for the Western's,and the semi-permanent ones (bolted on) are for our Snoways.

I went the extension or wing route,as I need the extra width for our big commercial lots.The turk key wings,or a box plow is better for cleaning up small areas with little or no spill off.I was going to try to adapt something to my mounts for the wings,to form a box plow for cleanups.
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Here are the removable extensions.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

This is what they mount to.

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

These are the bolt on ones on the Snoways.

bolt on wing.jpg
  14. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you want any help designing something for your wings,let me know and I'll draw something up for ya.
  15. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Check ebay for your controls. Usually every now and again one pops up cheap on their.

Welcome to the site enjoy and be sure to spend some time using the search button there is a plethora of information for you on this site.

16. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Welcome bigpoppa, boy have you come to the right spot for help, and you're getting from the best. A real Canadian who knows about snow and snow plows. You'll enjoy this site immensely. I can't figure out why these guys are on this site in the summer though. No snow in the west just forest fires.
  17. wyldman

wyldman Member

Hey windmill,long time no see.I've seen all the forest fires on the news lately.Pretty scary.Hope it's no where near you.
  18. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

19. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Junior Member

Hey, Thanx guys for all the help. I'm sure I'll alot more questions in the coming months. Thanx Garagekeeper for taking the time to look for parts for me. Wyldman, thanx for the pics. I was thinking more on the lines of something when the straightblade is angled. omething to minimize the run-off maybe only have it on one side?? Any thoughts about that??
  20. wyldman

wyldman Member

The problem with having something on only one side,is it will limit the effectivness,and cause excessive edge wear,as you will always try to angle it one way.

You could make something up,and put it on both ends.We used to use curb gaurds,which were just pieces of pipe welded to a piece of old carbide and bolted on each end.They would prevent a little spillage,and stop the sides of the plow from getting worn on the curbs.