1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to this Industry...Have ??'s Need advice / comments / knowledge from veterans !!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RCLINDjr82, Sep 17, 2011.

1. RCLINDjr82

RCLINDjr82 Junior Member

Hello everyone...first i want to say this site is great...ton of information!!!

I have searched many of my questions and got most of the answers i was looking for but there are still a few loose ends. I have a few questions all answers and comments are appreciated as i said before this site is great and i know i will get a quick and great response.

1. I am looking to buy a 2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat FX-4 Power-stroke Turbo Diesel 4x4 144K miles. Good truck....Bad truck.....pros/cons ?

2.Doesn't seem to have snow plow package, can ford install this ? What is the downfall to plowing without the prep package?

Thanks again anything i forgot i will ask later thanks again ! ussmileyflag

2. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

what are you going to be plowing? commercial? residential?

i think it would be a lot of money to install the plow prep package, not sure if they even offer to install it?

3. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

Are you going to use the truck for something else besides plowing? If not you should consider getting a work truck, salt destroys carpet, and the crew cab option is only going to make the truck less manuverable, which if your doing resi stuff is important. Same goes for drw vs srw. If you don't need the load cap of the drw, get a srw.

4. RCLINDjr82

RCLINDjr82 Junior Member

i would be starting mostly resi i would assume hope to pick up commer, and /or subcontract for some one.

the truck is a srd and what would i worry about the carpet for it will be a work truck, will use as landscaping truck/work truck rest of yr also have real estate business on the side and it will be work truck / office for that.

Are there any pro cons to this truck as is also can i plow with out the prep package ??i

5. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

My point was that a truck in w/t trim is going to be quite a bit cheaper, just trying to save you some cash. :shrug:

6. RCLINDjr82

RCLINDjr82 Junior Member

thanks for the saving cash thought, im more worried about will the truck do the job with out the plow prep package??

Can this be done dont wanna buy a truck and destroy it bc i plowed without the prep package

7. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

None of my trucks have prep packages, my half ton has an 8 foot Curtis and all we did was crank the torsion bars a bit, most prep packages just consist of heavier front springs, if you have a problem with sag in front, which with a one ton you shouldn't, just put some timbrens in the front. There won't be any difference in driveline components.

8. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

well its 8 foot on half ton...:eek:

with out plow prep you will be fine.

9. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

Yup its real heavy :rolleyes: ha