1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to this Business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Two Canoe, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Two Canoe

Two Canoe Junior Member

I am new to this business,but no spring chicken to service industry. Good news is It doesnt have to feed me from the get go. I want to do things right and fair. This is a niche market here. When we get dumped on The big stores call the construction guys that have there rubber tired loaders and graders to push some snow. I hear a lot of whining here on the forums about undercutting and seems like a good place to vent. I will say up front I want to get into this market and offer a better service than what is out there now. I feel I can out perform the competition with my new equipment. I just bought a 3/4ton diesel with a 8' on front and will be installing a 12' Ebling on rear. This northern Canada and snow is for the most part dryer than the stuff near east coast and great lakes area. I could clear a lot of snow and keep the lot cleaner for the customer . There is no commercial trucks like mine in this area the off season construction outfits move the snow. Other business have a skidster on site. We have a lot of all wheeldrives vehicles to get around.
    Talk to me why couldn't my unit get in on this and make it go? Your input and references please.
  2. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

you will like that back blade. i have loved mine esp on the big lots. good luck.
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Welcome to plowsite!.... You may be right and "offer better service" then the other guy but in this ecomony every company/store out there is looking to better their bottom line..... which means reducing or cutting back on services... plowing is a service that most companies are cutting back on (not too mention alot of people out of work and doing what your trying to do right now...therefore we have increased competition) They are not as picky as in the past on how well the job is performed or looks as long as the "price is right" in other words CHEAP! they'll deal with crappy service....... its the nature of the beast right now

Your alittle late in the game to try and get commercial work now but start knocking on doors monday and see if the companies are still accepting bids.....

There are profitable ones out there you just have to knock on ALOT of doors to find them.

Good Luck!
  4. Two Canoe

Two Canoe Junior Member

I will be flying to east coat to pick up my truck and stopping to get my back blade installed. We have a good community here . Big business are for the most part good contributors to worthy causes. I have always set aside apart of my proceeds for philanthropy. What I am saying is at this stage I want to make profit for sure but for higher reasons and encourage others. I am a business person at heart and want to do things right and at the end of the day play rec hockey with my competition. Its not perfect here but we are working on it.
  5. Two Canoe

Two Canoe Junior Member

If my contacts simply want the lowest price I think I will have it, for now anyway. But I want to develope a good relationship also. I will make it harder for low ballers to invade. Thats all cool with me I am in for for the long haul and do my part to build our community. More to life than money. Iwant to stay out of the shark pool. I have seen them come and go.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Starting low is a mistake a lot of guys make. It's hard raising rates once you've got the reputation for being "the cheap guy". If you persist, they'll just go on to the next one breaking in by being "priced right" and you're left with no customers. Start out targeting the market you want to pursue and develop that. All you'll do this way is lose money this year and lose more next year.
  7. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Dont start low and try and move up. Start at the honest price and if you want more profit after one year move your price up. But dont lower it just to get a customer like Mick said
  8. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

And wear your stuff out in the process
  9. Two Canoe

Two Canoe Junior Member

Has anyone used the software to keep track of customers. What to include in the contract. I figure it will take 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to clean lot.3 to 4 inches. $300. per push?. We average 47inches. per season. Tell me what you would charge per year, explain triggers etc. I will read some other threads also
  10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Bidding Info

I have something that will help you with exactly what you are looking for.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of over 20 templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.

Add our "Know why you charge what you charge" CD to this package and you will have the ability to know and understand your break-even point for your company based on your overhead, expenses and use-rates.
  11. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Also check SIMA