1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To The Snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mtchockey30, Aug 27, 2009.

1. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

Hey guys I am new to the snow business. I am looking to get a plow for my 2004 super duty diesel extended cab short bed and I am looking for some advice on what kind of plow to get?? I have dealers I can get just about any brand at and am leaning toward a straight blade instead of a V but not for sure, and am not wanting to spend tons of money. I am also not set on new if I can find something used worth my while. I just want to know what you guys think especially if you have the same truck. I am also possible interested in a tailgate spreader..
    Thanks guys
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

The blade you decide on all depends on what type of plowing you're going to get into. A v-blade is more efficient than a straight blade and although will cost you more up front will make you more money if paid per push or seasonal on commercial plowing. A plow with retractable wings is apparantly even more efficient. You can always put wings or sideplates on a straight blade-which would probably be your cheapest option. Hit 'search' as theres tons of info on here to help steer you in the right direction.
  3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

If your just getting started a good place to search for a used blade is e-bay. The season is not quite started yet so this is the optimal time to start searching for used.

If you've never plowed before a straight blade is a good starter, I did that for a few years and them migrated to a Vee.

Just a thought
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check Craigslist too. Dealer service is more important then brand.
  5. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

thanks for some of the info guys
  6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

That above is sound advice. You're going to need a few things more than just the plow. Try and find a dealer, or at least someone at the dealer you can develop a friend like relationship with. Get to know them by name, and they'll help you get what you need. Basically, just walk in the door and tell them you're starting out plowing this season and want to know where to start, what to do(buy) etc. Listen to what they tell you, get some prices, and then search other dealers, craigslist, ebay and here for it. Once you've figured out whats needed and how much it "should" cost you can start with the haggling.payup

It seems like snow's a long way off, but good deals are already slipping away....
  7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I started up used 2 years ago with an 8' straight blade. I was able to pay it off my first season as well as a good portion of my truck. This year I picked up a barely used V plow and plan on having that paid off as well.

Craigslist, ebay, and the used equipment section of this forum are a wonderful resource.
  8. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

thanks guys