1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To the snow removal business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Shadowrider, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Junior Member

Me and my buddy are starting a small scale residencial snow removal business. My buddy has a 2002 F-350 powerstroke and is in the market for a plow for it(Boss/Fisher V-Plow?) any advice on any of those would be great. As of now we are using a snowblower, a small John Deere with a snowblower, and a mid sized John Deere with a bucket. Also any tips for a successful business and any pointers on how get new accounts?

Thanks alot,
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

First piece of advice I always give - Start small and grow slow. Form a Business Plan for incremental growth and stick with it, regardless of how tempting something might seem at the time. I've been on this site for five years and just in that short time, I've seen some small operators and at least one multi-million dollar operation close down for the same reason - unable to sustain the growth they attempted. I've also seen several one-man operations start up and grow into enviable companies with a couple large contracts and using subs. As far as the brand of plow - that's a personal choice. Both of those are good plows. But do you really need a V-plow for what you intend to do? How to get accounts? Let everyone you know that you are going to be plowing snow. Put up a notice at the local convenience store. Maybe a small ad in the local shopper paper. Signs on the truck if you've got the money. Permanent signs are nice, but maybe magnetic to begin with? You might even consider sticking with the equipment you've got and build from there. But first, get the proper insurance Commercial Vehicle for the truck (and tractor if it's on the road) and General Liability for "completed operations".
  3. genrock

genrock Member

I think a V plow is way too much plow for residential work in my opinion but if you plan on doing larger lots or township road work then yes go with a v plow also a f350 wow thats a pretty big truck for plowing small residential type work. What exactly is the direction you guys want to go in?

If you plan on doing larger lots like wal mart, meijers, malls, Factory lots, etc then I would suggest getting a skid steer or some type of bucket, Dump truck to remove the snow from the lot, Two trucks with salt capability and that should just about do it.
  4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I'd take the extra money you were going to spend on the V-plow and put a blower and plow on the John Deere ;)