1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the snow plowing.. what plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by flyingdutch16, Nov 21, 2011.

1. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 Junior Member

Hey guys,

First off im 17 and I've been working all summer mowing lawns and doing some fall clean ups. Finally have enough money to buy a truck and a plow. Just need some help on what kind of plow. I will be buying used since new is just not in my budget. I will be only doing residential driveways. The truck I have not fully desided on what kind of truck, but most likely a Chevy(1500) or Ford (f150) with crew cab(still need to be able to drive my friends around)

Now for the plow since im fairly new to this i have no idea where to start. All tips and previous experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

What are your closet dealers cause you dont wanna drive 1 hr for snow plow parts
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Part of me wants to say find a used plow truck that already has a plow, but sometimes they can be extremely beat up.

So, If you can find a used truck and a used plow for no more the $4500, I'd say go that direction. Don't take on any unneeded debt before really establishing your summer work.

My first truck was an s-10 and did small residentials with a single stage snowblower. The next year I bought a well used 87 F-350 dump with a plow. That truck took a lot of work to keep it on the road, but was cheap, I had no truck payment and served me well for 2 years before I beat it up.

So, I'd say go as cheap as possible for this purchase and think a little more "newer" down the road.

Also, you'll save a couple of thousand on a truck if you go with a single cab. As for the friends remark, the single cab makes it easier to make your friends drive, so it will cost you less gas money! Thumbs Up

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I agree with White gardens this is your first year, go cheap and work your way up. Good luck.
  5. snowtech

snowtech Member

i would make sure you buy a plow that you have a good local dealer to get parts and service. one thing you will find out quick is that plows break, new or old they all need something sometime. save yourself a big pain in the rear by getting a plow that you can get serviced easily. Good luck
  6. flyingdutch16

Decided to buy a trailer and use my snowblower this year cheapest way to go, plus i can use the trailer in the summer to mow outside of my neighborhood so you kill two birds with one stone i guess. But appreciate the input guys! Will definitely keep your advises in mind when purchasing a truck this summer
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a good plan!

If you are in a position to where you are making money and profiting, make sure you squirrel some of that away.

8. flyingdutch16

Will do that, thanks for the advice. Good luck this winter. Still awaiting for the snow to come down here.
  9. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I disagree with starting cheap to an extent.

An unreliable truck could keep you from bidding commercial accounts because of the reliability issues.
    I plowed with an ATV for 3 years before buying a truck, but when I got a truck I got a presentable and reliable one. Traded it a year later, for a larger truck, then traded that one for a brand new truck a month later.

Whatever you buy, make sure it is reliable. That's key in this business. Its easy in the summer to miss a few days and catch up because of a broke down truck, but in the winter you need to get these done within hours...no time for breakdown s.