1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to the site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jazie, Feb 12, 2009.

1. jazie

jazie Junior Member

Hello all, I have been lurking for a few months now and thought i better join. I am in the midst of figuring out what kind of truck to buy considering what i need it for. I am a golf course superintendent, so am very familiar with equipment/operating etc.Yes i used to plow but it has been 10 years. We are trying to save some money (or at least move it around !) Which means taking my company truck (lease is up in a month ) and getting something plow-worthy for our business. I guess the thiought is -why pay someone else to plow AND pay for a work truck for me without combining the two. I am there in the winter anyways, we have a mechanic etc...We will be plowing roughly a half mile of paved two-lane road and a 120 car parking lot (paved) I do not need to salt, as we have a separate machine at the shop for that.
    Believe it or not we do not get a lot of snow here, nothing out there right now, and this truck will be my dd though the rest of the season... do i really need an 3/4 ton ? I know it is an impossible question, thanks for the input

2. jazie

jazie Junior Member

whoops, I live in Newfoundland - averaging 3-5 feet of snow per year at the property.
  3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Get a 3/4 or one ton truck with a plow prep package, get a plow installed from a closeby reputable dealer and brand.
  4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

No you don't have to go with a 3/4 ton. But, It will hold up better . If you have to pick up salt it will hold more. If you go with a smaller truck you may try the search button at the top to see what others have done to help with cooling etc.

WELCOME TO THIS SITE . I hope this helps.
  5. jazie

jazie Junior Member

thanks for the opinions...sounds like an F350 or F250 is the way to go.Which I guessed but It is just hard to ignore Nissan's 1.9% financing compared to Ford at 5.9% ( next best rate) even though it is someone else's money I get to spend. The "import" 1/2 tons have such an attractive interest rate here it makes it a slightly harder decision.
  6. carl b

from Ohio

Have you looked at the Toyota's ? they have that new 1/2 ton . It looks like it would hold up really well . I think they say you can put a plow on it too .
  7. jazie

jazie Junior Member

Oh yeah, I am a Toyota guy (drive a landcruiser) Like I said the Nissan wins in Purchase financing, the toyota wins in Lease rate of 3.9% and I could get a 4 year 160k lease with them for a pretty good rate.
    My local installer said he actually likes the construction of the Titans more than the Tundras.
    I have been cruising around town stopping guys with all sorts of rigs getting various opinions...and i feel like i haven't got anywhere :dizzy:
    Half of me leans to Jap half ton and the other half wants to see my driveway at home only accept solid front axles :dizzy:
  8. carl b

from Ohio

I am a Ford man all the way . Unfortunately I drive a Chevy . I'm a Business man first .that's what I found a deal on .
  9. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

id say go with whichever truck you find the best deal on and like the best. everyone thinks you can only plow with a 3/4 or one ton truck. you arent doing a lot of property with it by what you described and maybe assuming you might add a driveway or two to that at our house. theres plenty of guys here that plow with 1/2 tons no problem as well as me doing primarily commercial with a 12 year old half ton with no problem at all. good luck with your decision.
  10. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

You want put a plow on a leased vehicle? I don't think they like that. Maybe I'm wrong, idk.:confused:
  11. jazie

jazie Junior Member

I know it sounds kinda crazy, but i have not heard any denial or anything from any salesmen...it is more just a comparioson tool though, I am sure to finance i think.
  12. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Jazie, buy a 3/4 ton. Yes, you can plow with a 1/2 ton, hell you can plow with a little Jeep, a Ford Ranger, or even a VW Bug but why overload/overwork a vehicle? Its like the 4wd vs 2wd drive argument, yes you can plow with a 2wd truck but if you don't have to why would you?

The one thing thing I have learned from being in the construction/plowing biz is buy the right tool for the job. If you think you might need the bigger/stronger/faster/heavier piece of equipment then buy it. There is nothing worse than buying something then saying "oh shite, I wish I would have....".

Working on a golf course you may find yourself hauling sod, topsoil, sand, stone, etc. Being able to haul a full yard of soil vs. a half yard might be nice. What if you land a few contracts to plow other businesses and the bigger truck would be needed? And finally what about resale, I think a 3/4 ton truck all set up to plow is going to get you more than a 1/2 ton with a plow.

I know others may disagree, just my 2 cents.
  13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

THIS is a great post! ^ ^ ^ Great advice, and I concur. There are SEVERAL reasons for going with a 3/4 over a 1/2 ton for moving snow.
  14. Brando55

Brando55 Member

Finally another Newfoundlander on the site. Im pretty sure we are the only ones on here. Welcome and I hope your truck hunt turns out good!
  15. jazie

jazie Junior Member

Yes B'ye !
    I am still looking at trucks...Nissan is winning it seems if we are going to buy a new one.
    How has the arctic poly been? talking to paul murphy he was steering me towards a sno-way poly, but i would like to support a canadian company.
  16. maxcalvada

maxcalvada Junior Member

I also am looking for a snowplow truck. We have a family garden/lawn mowing business and this winter we bought a snowblower. 4 summer clients use us. Of course to expand, I need a truck. I live in a very old city - my driveway is very narrow and so are the driveways of most of my clients. I only want to do small driveways with a limit of maybe 10 clients at most. Other posts I've seen on this website have said small 4x4s, like Chevy S-10s, Ford Rangers, Dodge Dakotas, etc., are fine for this, but not for bigger plow businesses. A smaller truck would be much better for our summer business too - we're small and intend to stay small.

Your opinions on smaller 4x4s for what I'd like to would be most welcome.
  17. Brando55

Brando55 Member

I picked up the truck and plow and the beginning of the season and havent had any problems yet. It is my first plow but I find it works perfect.
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Snoway will provide you with more plow for the weight and has optional Down Pressure.

Why not? you pull the mount off after the lease is up and list plow prep on your requirements before you lease and they can not object as long as you do not damage the vehicle. I did it for years.