1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by acprimus, Jul 24, 2016.

1. acprimus

acprimus Junior Member
    from 06489

Hello everyone,

Been a longtime lurker and figured it was time to join the party.

My name is Austin. I'm 22 and been working full time for my family's apartment/land development business since I was out of high school. I've loved trucks and equipment my whole life so naturally I gravitated towards watching snow removal going on around our apartments and around town.

My plowing experience is limited but I do have some. I've shoveled and ran snowblower since I was in middle school. When I was in HS I was in my school's ag program and the last 2 years of school we got bombarded storm after storm. Lots of piles to move around with our Deere 870 tractor loader and New Holland LS180 after the contractors left. I was usually tapped to fill a seat since I had free periods and supposedly was a good operator.

After I graduated our plow guy of 30+ years decided to retire. He sold his rusty old 80s Chevy K30 and I bought a 1986 F350 with the 6.9 IDI and C6 and 8' Meyer (pic below). That old girl would start better than any Powerstroke my friends had. I plowed our lots and did some subbing for a guy plowing a Target. Didn't get paid as much as I probably should have, but hey we all learn. Sold it the next year and got one of dad's friends to plow for a few years with his Duramax.

Last fall we picked up a Fisher MM2 7.5' straight blade for a decent deal and hooked it on dad's 2002 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 which at the time had just over 300k and figured we'd beat it a couple more years (pic also below). Sure felt right to get back in the seat again and push some snow! Unfortunately, the tranny is finally starting to clunk (truck now has 331k with almost 140k on tranny rebuild) so the old thing likely won't see another season. I plan on picking up a fullsize truck for myself again and switching the plow gear over and dad plans on buying a new truck and getting MM2 equipment on it for a backup.

Eventually I would like to go out on my own and get into excavating/snow removal. I am in the process of getting a septic installer's license and am going to CDL school this fall. I don't plan on going at it right away but I'll keep plowing our lots and crunching the operational numbers and see where I stand in a couple years. I've been taking in a lot of info from this site and I'm sure I'll learn plenty more.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome and good luck.

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome. Glad to have ya here. Sound like you have a solid plan for your future.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to plowsite.

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome aboard!!

6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plow Site

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Welcome, I think it's great that at your age you are interested in excavation. You can make plenty of money installing septic systems. Repairs are nice money to. Meaning distributor boxes and leach lines.

You will also want to learn waterlines. Sanitary sewer lines, storm sewer lines, Catch basins, electric lines any under ground utility, You will also want to do some driveway and sidewalk work. Repairs on asphalt, concrete parking areas.

Get you a 12K pound excavator, Trailer and 35k pound 6 wheel dump. You will need a skid or small loader in the septic end of it or you will be tracking a lot with excavator to stone pile. Remember to call a UPFO in before you dig the fines will kill you. You will probably be in sleep mode more less in the winter this is when you concentrate on snow. Try to land you a couple seasonal and per trip mixed in.

When your ready to start salting purchase electric or if funds are available. hyd. is the way to go. Go slow it will probably take close to 5 years where your comfortable with your earnings.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. You will learn more on PS than ever expected.Thumbs Up

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

On want to......Thumbs Up