1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the site!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by X-SYOTOS-X, Jul 9, 2014.

1. X-SYOTOS-X

X-SYOTOS-X Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    Thought I would introduce myself since I've been creeping around doing some research!

I'm young, 22, but lots of drive, and this is not my "spare job" it's my career!
    I have a carpentry business, so these are hand-in-hand I guess
    I currently have 3 1500's with 7.5ft straight blades.
    I just purchased a newer one ton ford diesel, and I'm contemplating the western wideout or the 8611LP.

For contracts, 3 years a go I started out volunteering everyone of my driveways! It was tough, but worked out in the end! I now have 70+ driveways, 3 condominiums with roadway responsibility, and driveway care aswell, and 4 decent size lots.

I have 3-5 shovelers, I charge for snow removal and clean up, and all the sand and salt is done by another company and charged directly to the client. No issues so far...

Thanks for reading!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Admission to this site is a 2-4

3. X-SYOTOS-X

X-SYOTOS-X Junior Member

What does that mean

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Some Canadian you are:cry:

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome..........:salute:

Think about getting a Salt/ Sander for that one tonne and doing it yourself...Leaving money on the table.....Good money in that service if priced correctly......payup

As for plow choice......Cant go wrong with eather the Blizzard or Wideout...My personal choice is a Fisher XLS

6. X-SYOTOS-X

X-SYOTOS-X Junior Member

Thanks!!

The salt is ok, in the past I had 1/2 tons and was never an option, it has become an option with this truck, but spending 50+ between truck and plow is enough for one year! Maybe next year!
    The advantage is the ease of having someone else do the sand/salt. They just follow behind me, I don't have to go back. I have a great rapport with the company I use, I refer 2-300k a year worth of work to them. So for now, I'll wait!

I like the size of the blizzard, hate that there's no chain lift.
    I like the wideout, for its size (over the 7.5 straight) and being able to fit between cars still..
    I like the XLS, think is pretty good, I like that the mouldboard has a better frame behind it than the wideout, it has the trip edge, which may be handy since I doing have any gravel lots.

From what I understand the mounting process is easier with the wideout over the fisher, but what's a few seconds compared to the comfort of longevity lol

Dealer is the same place for all three. He manly only sells wideouts and smaller blizzard plows, so thats kinda why I was looking at those. He also offered his demo wideout for 1500$ less than his retail. All three plows new, are $7800 after tax (13%) before install.

What's your input on that Defcon?
    Thanks

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A case of beer!

8. Defcon 5

Most people like Direct Lift......I have been a Fisher owner since 1979...So I am partial to chain lift

The mounting between the two is a little different,,,But they take about the same amount of time to hook up....

If you look at the A-Frame on the Fisher verses the Wideout.....Theres a liitle more Beef on the XLS.....

Like I said...You cant go wrong with any of the Three......Dealer support for the plow is key since your plunking down $7800+ for the Plow.....

9. X-SYOTOS-X

X-SYOTOS-X Junior Member

Awesome, thanks!

I've had to drive a couple plows up the bank and chain them up, so with my personal experience, it's been handy to have that ability... That being said, I don't know what safety precautions there are for the blizzard in that situation

10. X-SYOTOS-X

X-SYOTOS-X Junior Member

Lol a 2-4 for admission? That's steeeeep
    Better hurry, tomorrow's Friday, the beer don't make it to Saturday

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

On the older blizzards you can also drive them up a bank and lock them in that position. I'm not sure about the new ones.

Where are you in Ontario?

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

2 inch ratchet strap around it.

I like western for their mounting system

All 3 are made by the same people anyway

13. X-SYOTOS-X

X-SYOTOS-X Junior Member

250km east of Toronto

14. X-SYOTOS-X

X-SYOTOS-X Junior Member

True!

I knew that much, seems as though certain quality has diminished since the companies united

15. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I don't think so

But you have to realize people on here

1. Believe the heavier the better

2. Would rather drive a old 90s truck falling apart before even thinking about a nbs or even new truck

3. Technology is the devil

4. You need a loader no matter what size lot you have.

Lol

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

In blizzards. Yes quality has diminished
    Sometimes heavier is better
    Some people like 90s trucks better. And some people can't afford new(er) trucks.

17. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

If we're talking 90's Fords, then turn and run. There aren't many decent ones left. If they've been plow trucks for the past 15-20 years then they are already going to be POS on top of that.

I loved my Boss 8'2" plow I bought last year for my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd. In the V position I was able to push 12" of snow off driveways that had some serious inclines to them. This season all I plan on doing is buying a second mount for my 2012 GMC 2500 so I can use that truck incase my 2006 needs a break.

And as previously stated all you need to do is drive the plow up an embankment and strap it if it breaks.

Michael

18. Defcon 5

This is a True statement about Everything these days right down to the toilet paper we buy.....:nod:

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Who buys TP anymore?

20. Defcon 5

I have started to use Leaves......Little rough at first until I learned to use the Green ones.....The Brown crunchy ones make a Mess......:nod:

Gotta save a buck where you can these days......Thumbs Up