1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to the site.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by superior land, Dec 4, 2011.

1. superior land

superior land Junior Member

hey folks. ivd been lurking the site for sometime now. just never joined up. well i have been in the business for some time now. i just have always been working under someone elses name. well next year i plan to take it out on my own. i use to do some residentals on my own and all my customers loved my work and would always give me number to friends or family. well im no longer in that town.

i have since moved and would like to get mostly into commercial properties on my own. i have 8 years commercial work experience and am no stranger to the job. as of right now i am currently a foremen for the company i work for. What id like to do is just focus mainly on plowing and some light landscape in the summer months to keep the customers happy.

the thing is i work for a large company now and i make good money in the summer and travel for work. i get laid off come the winter months for the obvious reasons.

i would like to just do snow plowing but and removal as i dont have much time to focus on any other things in the summer months with my work schedule.

the questions i have for you guys are how do i get contacts in the business world for commercial work.

i wouldnt be apposed to setting up a residential truck as well. the problem in my area is the drives are small and not many places to put the snow. i think i would be better off with a kubota and blower or something of that size.

i have an add running now for residential work but they all want me there now and i cant as i have commercial properties. i would be setting up a truck and outfit strictly for home owners needs.

i have and will bang on and knock down doors if i must, but from what i have seen and talked to with the managers at the stores and business's they don't have a whole lot of time to talk or care to.

im looking to focus on properties that i can handle with trucks and v blades. i do plan to install a ebling on one of my trucks and use that as a marketing tool to my prospective customers. i plan to do so by being able to put the snow where ever they would like on the property instead of piles all over as many companies are forced to do.

on one of the trucks is a flat bed with a 2.0 yard spreader on it and i plan to build the sides up a bit more.

all of my equipment is well maintained and up kept and looks good. i believe that image is alot in this business and that it goes along ways.

i guess what im looking for is what is the best ways to get into the managers heads that im the best guy for the job. i have been in the business for a long time but being a younger generation guy i feel like they dont have the trust that a younger guy can handle their property and do the job right. this is not the case with me.

what works best? bang on the doors? go in meet with people? business letters on company letter head?phone calls?

also for you small business owners, do you have a different cell phone and number for the business other then your personal number?

thanks alot in advance and sorry for the long winded first post. i have been rolling this around in my head for sometime and am read to go through with it finally. tried to this year but didnt work out and couldnt turn down the employment i currently have to give it a shot. i am going to be bidding on alot of properties this summer provided i can find the best ways and answers from the guys who knows best.

thanks alot plow site! :confused::confused:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you been lurking a while then you know we will bomb on the new guy for a while! :)

3. superior land

That's ok. Ive been around the block before. I can handle it but im just looking for some help here. Looking to expand my business. Just need done pointers

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome......

Where in Michigan are you......It might have been in your post...But, i Blacked out on your Long winded post......:laughing:

5. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

I would suggest not to plow. Spend that money you would invest in a start up and relax in Mexico with cheap women and cheaper beer.....

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Welcome ! Try the go in and meet the people and hand them a business card or flyer, I'd stick with one phone number, keep the cost down. good luck!

7. superior land

ya i know they were long winded but i wanted to get it out there i guess haha. this past year i went around and made up a bunch of bids but got to busy at work to hand them in. i wanted to go meet with them personally but it just didnt work out. i will save them all for next winter when i am going to jump on balls deep. all or nothing. id like to pick up around 25 to 30 commercial accounts and several residential accounts as well. the thing is there are so many variables to the residential that its hard to make up my mind on what im going to do.

in my area the town is pretty close. id like to set up some kinda blower on a tractor but i dont see that being in the books. pretty expensive piece of equipment to go out on a limb with not knowing for sure if it will pay off.

what i would like to do is rack up as many accounts as possible. i know i can handle them. i know what my limits are as ive been in this for sometime now.

the biggest thing i have to worry about is how do i convince the managers and owners that i am capable at a young age of 24?

8. superior land

Well sitting here thinking tonight I had a thought. I'm going to throw out done door hangers. Since we're only 1 plow in I'm sure alot of customers haven't had much thought about residential plowing yet. I'm looking for a good site to order them from before it's to late. I'd like to order around 5-600 of them. Also plan to get some new business cards made up as well. Thanks for the heads up guys and the big help!