1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the site....Questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ole703, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Ole703

Ole703 Junior Member

Hi, I am brand new to the site. Snow plowing is nothing new to me. I have been a back up driver for a buddy for years. I have been in plow trucks, skid steers, and plowed with cat 910 front end loader. Total I have a solid two years experience. I have been poking around on here for the past few days. I like this forum. With that being said.

I am currently looking for a newer truck. I am thinking a 03-05 Chevy 2500hd with the 6.0. Id love to buy a diesel but I would kill it. I am in school right now and have no place to plug it in. Plus all the short distance driving I do. The warm ups and idle downs would kill me.

Plow setup:
    I have been talking with dealers. I am considering a boss v plow with all the goodies. I am leaning towards the 7'6". My plow dealer said I could run the 8'2" v plow but I am hesitant. When I head home I log roughly 75 miles of highway driving. I do not want a super heavy plow up front. I know boss makes a 8'2" v plow in poly. Is it substantially lighter than the steel version?

Am I crazy to try this venture?
    1.) I have two years of school left?
    2.) I have a part time job aside from classes?
    3.) I know a lot of guys have contracts set up for this season already.

Justification for me doing this:
    1.) I love plowing...always have and always will.
    2.) I have experience doing this and the hours is nothing new to me.
    3.) I am buying a truck either way.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Unless you can be "on-call" 24/7 then don't do it. Customers want to have the snow cleared no matter what. JMO
  3. jxb1008

jxb1008 Junior Member

Boss Plow

First of all, there is no reason as to why you could not have a diesel. The short runs and cold start ups will not hurt the Duramax. Also GM has tested these engines and they are not like those junk Powerjokes or Cummins, these engines will start right up WITHOUT being plugged in to below 50 below, so unless you live in Yellowknife, then you will be fine. In addition unless you work the diesel, I mean make the turbo run and have sustained boost temperature then you do not have to let it idle down. By the way you will melt an engine down if you have a sustained temp. of more than 1200 degrees. If you are concerned with "short run time" or "turbo cool mode" then you can purchase a viper remote starter for around $500 installed that has a programmable "short run time." I would have it programed for 4 minutes any longer and you are wasting fuel. By the way, 6.0 is for girls!

Also, plowing is a 24/7 job, you have to be there every waken second of the day, people want it done 5 minutes ago. Buying a 7'6" v is crazy as well, the truck is too wide for it, you want something that your wheels will not be in snow when you have it in V or scoop position. The reasoning behind the POLY plow is for longevity, not lighter weight. If you look on boss.com and check the stats, you will notice that they weigh more...why do they weigh more you are probably asking??? Well young grass hopper, they weigh more because there is more steel reinforcement. They are designed not to rust, not to weigh less. There is not that much weight difference between the 7.6 and 8.2 I have an 8.2 XT on my 08 Crew Cab Duramax and it handles it fine.

There are all kinds of nifty things out there that one can add to his/her truck to help it perform better, I have onwed the last three generations of silverado's so if you any questions about any silverado from 1999 to present please do ask. I will get you all the information that you will ever need.

Truck 007.jpg
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

dude, honestly, finish school and the invest in plowing. itd be different if you were going to try and plow around your school area but to travel back and forth will take its toll on you, trust i tried it and i only went to school 20 minutes from home.
  5. jxb1008

jxb1008 Junior Member

I will agree, what it does there, may not happen 10 miles down the road. Finish school and then dive head first into, there is enough plowing out there for everyone.
  6. Ole703

Ole703 Junior Member

Sorry I was unclear. I am trying to plow at school. My plow will go home on certain days but not all snow days.
  7. Ole703

Ole703 Junior Member

Yeah that was my main concern with buying a 7'6". Maybe I will hold off on the plow this season and just buy a truck.
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

9. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

well if thats the case then go for it. just understand that signing on to help someone plow is the end of parties and late nights man haha, ive been there, done that. if its worth the sarifice to you then go for it!
  10. jxb1008

jxb1008 Junior Member

11. jxb1008

jxb1008 Junior Member

I don't know how much school you have left, but remember what has been said by others, you have to watch your partying and staying out late. I am sure that you will be fine... My opinion would be to save your money and buy a nice (new/slightly used) truck and then buy the plow. Don't rush into it. There will always be snow to plow. I would go w/ the 8.2 v on a gas or an 8.2 v xt on a diesel. You will be fine, just remember one step at a time. Best of luck...
  12. Ole703

Ole703 Junior Member

I know which diesels I prefer. I have five years of landscape experience. We have had duramaxs, 7.3 and 6.0 powerstrokes, and 5.9 24 valve cummins. I know which diesels I prefer. They all have their upsides and downsides. I wont get involved in that contest. The reason I want a chevy is because I believe that they have the best gas engines (in my experience) along with the nicest interior,ride, that is my opinion.. I have towed/hauled for years with the cummins. Love em. But we have had about six 7.3 powerstrokes over 300,000. This is going to be my daily driver. That and I just do not really want a diesel right now. Thanks for the input. Ill probably hold off with the plow right now. Might even hold off on the truck. Having no truck payment is nice now. But I could trade my monthly bar tab for a truck payment.
    Thanks for the input.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008