1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the site/industry

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chach, Sep 27, 2009.

1. chach

chach Junior Member
    from Chicago

Hey guys,

Didn't realize there was such a forum but I should've guessed, there's a forum for everything these days.

Anyway, I've never plowed before but I always thought it would be a lot of fun. I can drive all day everyday no problem, really have been a car fanatic/gear head since I was a little one.

I went to school and got my mechanical engineering degree thinking it would be easy to break into the auto industry designing cars, guess I graduated at the best possible time for that! So now, more than ever, I'm thinking it would be great to not be dependent on working for someone else.

My main problem is, I don't have the equipment to even start doing this kind of thing. I have an '06 base model toyota tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed 2wd pegleg - even if I got an LSD and snow tires I would probably be SOL, is that approximation about right?

So I was wondering, is it just a pipe dream for a newb to pick up a truck with a plow and actually make money at this sort of thing? Would anyone hire a greenhorn sub? It would suck to sell my truck, buy something with a plow, only to use it again for the daily grind and no actual work.

Also, are private messages enabled on this forum? Been looking through the FAQs and can't find anything on that...

Thanks for any help guys!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need 10 posts and 10 days as a member.

This season you maybe out of luck,you'll be chasing all the crap stuff and get mad and won't want to plow. Driving all day and plowing are 2 different things. Most will suggest is try and get hooked up with a plow company ,but you may have to push a shovel and spreader .

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You need a 4X4 to plow snow with.
    Wait till next year to even think about plowing unless you line up sub work.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Try to get a job plowing for someone this year. If you have a clean driving record and can get out of bed at 2am, should be easy to find work. You'll know by February if you want to be a plowboy.

5. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

first and foremost,
    WELCOME ABOARD. You'll find piles of good useful stuff here, read read read. :D

Now down to business,

First things first, yes you are SOL with your truck as a plow rig.

Second things third, You are not SOL as a plower. Find a service provider in your area, explain to them what you are looking for. You may be shoveling and pushing spreaders, but I'm sure at some point you will be able to gain some experience in plowing. Even if you don't you will be able to see how things work, in the industry.

If you don't enjoy it after testing the waters then you won't be stuck with a big 4x4 plow truck for no reason. Just my 2 cents.

6. chach

chach Junior Member
    from Chicago

How so? I mean I get that there's a lot more stop and go when you are plowing but I feel right at home driving around all day. Do you still think there's a chance I wouldn't like plowing?

7. grandview

Hard to explain if you never plowed before,its just different from driving.

8. chach

chach Junior Member
    from Chicago

What would be different about next year? Is that in reference to the state of the economy?

9. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I think he's making reference to,,,"Unless you can get a truck, a plow, and customers with in th enext couple months then you might as well................"

10. grandview

More like weeks.

11. chach

chach Junior Member
    from Chicago

You guys don't think it's possible to find people that want their driveways plowed half way through the winter?

12. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

good god GV its october already lol. he's absolutely right,,weeks. But like I said before, if you start out subbing for someone you can get a taste of it, unless you're dead set on getting a truck and going for it, then just make sure you read your butt off like a maniac from now until the spring.

13. chach

chach Junior Member
    from Chicago

I wouldn't even have the money for a truck unless I sold mine and I'm kind of SOL at the moment anyway seeing as my right leg is broken but I think if I can find someone willing to take on a n00b driver after my leg heals up I'd give it a shot.

I make pretty horrible money as an intern currently, think I could make more than $15/hr averaging around 40 hours per week in a usual winter? I realize that's a hard question to answer but just wondering if it's even remotely feasible.

14. grandview

There are always driveways available. People call you the night of a storm the day of one and after one. Plus you get calls half way through the season because some guy under bid itand bailed on these people. So yes, driveways are always around.

15. hydro_37

from iowa

Wish I could plan on a 40 hour week ALL winter plowing snow.
    It just doesn't happen that way. Some days you might work 24 hours and then nothing for weeks.
    Hate to bust yuour bubble but there is NO guarantees plowing snow and making monry. (unless you are GV).:drinkup:

16. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I hate to be the bad news bear here, but you probably won't make more than $15 per hour running a truck for someone. Your market might be a $1-2 more than here and $15 per hour is about the going rate for an operator with some experiance. You might plow 5 hrs a week or 80 hrs per week, unless you have a crystal ball. If you do just see what the lotto numbers are for next week, LOL. I wouldn't want to bank on snow for income, it just saves a lot of people from having to dip into their savings account.

It is a lot more than just getting a truck and a plow. You need to answer these first:

Do I have Insurance and is it the right insurance?
    How much is my set-up going to cost me?
    How much do I charge?
    Who am I going to plow for?
    Do I know where I need to put snow and why?
    What time do I need to go out to be done by 7:00 am?
    What do I do when it doesn't start snowing till 3:00 am and my lot needs to be safe by 7:00 am?

Snow is a 24/7 commitment, it is a lot like a woman. You don't know when it is coming, what it is going to give you, what mood it is going to be in when it gets there, if it is ever coming, if it is ever going to quit coming, what it is going to cost you, and if it will ever let you get a good nights sleep.

17. hydro_37

from iowa

Hey Chach.....read Ducati's post 2 or 3 times. He is RIGHT on the money

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

With no truck, no experience and a broken leg to boot I'm afraid you have little to offer someone right now. It will be a challenge for you to convince a service provider to put you in a company owned truck to learn on their dime, unless it happens to be a good friend or family member willing to take the risk.

You seem to have a great attitude, and certainly a willingness to learn.

You have a lot to overcome.......I wish I had a suggestion that could help but I really can't think of any for you.

19. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

This is one of the best posts I've read as advice to a newbie, and I've read hundreds. Well said:salute:

20. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

My God this is soooooooooooooooo true!!!! Well said! Quote of the season right there!