1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to the site as well as plowing need some help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by weeman97, Aug 28, 2006.

1. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

new guy from IL

first off my name is kyle i live in palos heights, IL. i'm 18yrs old and have 2001 dodge ram 1500 "off road" edition. kind of new to the site kind of just browsed around since last winter roughly. anyways i bought the truck 4 weeks ago and have been wanting to put a blade on it(most likely a western 7'6 pro plow) but being 18 i dont want to start out on my own i'd rather work under a big fleet or with a smaller company. can you guys give me some advice to help point me in the right direction? my basic thing is dropping the money for a plow and letting it sit. which is why i'm trying to find a job or something before i jump right in and buy a plow. thanks in advance!!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  2. nekos

nekos Senior Member

call snow systems.
    it's great place to work for and they take care of their drivers!
    as long as their is snow on the ground they will have work for you. they start you out at $65 an hour but you must have insurance !!!
    being 18 and all that might cost some big $$$'s .

3. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

what kind of insurance like plow insurance or regular insurance?
  4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Seeing how your truck is only a 1500, that will limit what you can do with it. I am not saying you can't do heavy commercial stuff with it, but it will takes it's toll on the truck much faster than a 3/4 or large truck. Best bet is to go talk to one of the local snow plowing companies and see what they will give you to be a subcontractor for them as well as what they require you to have as far as insurance and such.
  5. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

see if you can even get insurance,i have a hard time getting mine last year on the truck i had since i'm under 25.
  6. 1olddog2

1olddog2 Member

give Arctic snow and ice a call they have all the big accounts around here. i have sub for them years with no problems on getting paid 708 532 1100 ask 4 john streaks. for ins call American family ins in oak forest 708 687 8770