1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the site and Truck plowing(Curtis Plow)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TBL Landscaping, Aug 10, 2014.

1. TBL Landscaping

TBL Landscaping Member

Hey guys im new to plow site and this summer i invested some money into snow plowing. I do lawns in the summer as well as some serious landscapes so this fits right in with my seasonal schedule as im sure all of you know. last winter i did alot of snow blowing and couldn't believe how well i did. With a great start this year in profits i upgraded my truck to a 2000 gmc 3500 with a 6.5 diesel. Previous truck was a 1500 and i blew the tranny. This week i got a curtis 8 ft plow for $800 with mounts and its a 2010 model used for a single driveway. I think its a smoking deal as everything is brand new including the wiring. So my question starts here, does anyone have experience with the curtis plows? It seams fairly heavy duty but im not too sure. Weighs about 600 pounds or so.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Curtis isn't that popular. Find a dealer near you and make friends. Get the manual for it a study up on it

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Not familiar with the Curtis brand. What size is this plow? 600lbs seems pretty light weight. My first plow was a Meyer 8' w/ a poly moldboard and it was close to a 1000lbs. My current plow is a Meyer SV-2 10.5' (v-plow) that weighs about 1200 lbs. Keep in mind that you want it heavy, because the plow's weight is what keeps it on the ground scraping, not skimming up and over hard packed snow. Obviously, you have to keep the weight matched to a vehicle that can support it. My current truck is a 2012 F-550 and the SV-2 that I have on it was the biggest that I could put on it, (and believe me, you know when you hit the up button on the controller).

4. dieselss

He Said 8'.....

5. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Yes he did, sorry. Seems lightweight to me.

6. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

That 6.5 Diesel is a nightmare.... Havent seen Curtis in 10 years... Find a dealer

7. TBL Landscaping

TBL Landscaping Member

What's wrong with the 6.5? Seams to be a lot better than the 6.0 ford engine. My buddy has one and dumps a few grand into it every 6 months or so. Yeah I will need to locate a dealer, the guy I got the plow from purchased it in Boston.

8. dieselss

Look into the relocate and cooling fin upgrade for the injector computer

9. TBL Landscaping

TBL Landscaping Member

Will do, expensive fix?

10. TBL Landscaping

TBL Landscaping Member

It could be a little more it was hard to judge when I picked it up with a chain vault and rail system on my block trailer that I use to do move large amounts of stone. But I did lift up on side to slide a strap under it and i didn't struggle too much. I'll post some pics of it in a few

11. dieselss

I think my diesel place said 300.00? Not sure

12. TBL Landscaping

TBL Landscaping Member

That's not bad at all, I wouldn't mind paying that versus replacing an egr valve every 4000 miles

13. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Not that im trying to start anything but 6.0's aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be

14. TBL Landscaping

TBL Landscaping Member

Oh no not if you do a turbo swap, egr delete, studs, gasket, injecotrs, and injector pump, cat removal and straight pipe. After that they run great lol