1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to the site and i have a cable question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jeremiahsfarm, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jeremiahsfarm

jeremiahsfarm Junior Member
    from Corydon

im a newbie with a problem. i have an older western cable operated, and it got ice in it last night and when i went to lift my plow the cable came apart at the joy stick. the metal wire sleeve pushed out of the plastic or hard rubber end that goes in the joystick case. this is my question, can i fix it or do i have to replace the cable? right now i have vise grips holding the cable so i can lift it p.s. im in indiana

2. jeremiahsfarm

from Corydon

im gonna put epoxy on the sleeve and put it in the rubber or plastic end and put a hose clamp on.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

if your fix works,,run with it...but you need to look into why/how water got into the motor causing this issue

4. jeremiahsfarm

from Corydon

yeah it leaked thru where the cable goes in at the top i can put silicon around it, but for now i have the plate off til i fix my cable problem. thanks for the reply

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

ok,,where you at in in. did you look for replacement cables?

6. jeremiahsfarm

from Corydon

checked tractor supply while i was there and they didnt have it in their snow plow section but probably could order one. i was hoping for an easy fix for this one oh and onlne they are about $26

7. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

if the cable came out of the pump, was there a retaining screw holding it in place? if it came out of the controller. all u need to do depending on which way it came out is run it back through (from the back of the controller towards the front of it). i just had to replace mine all together cause i snapped it

8. jeremiahsfarm

from Corydon

the cable sleeve came out of the end piece on the controller

9. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

hmmm well. i dont know your where abouts in indiana but over here in ohio there is a place i went to to get my new cable called kaffenbarger's truck equipment. i pain $29

10. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

i paid $29