1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to the site and a question..

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mycorrado, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mycorrado

mycorrado Junior Member

hi everyone,

I am considering plowing this winter to see if I like it :)

I am in the process of buying a truck for my real estate/contruction business and wanted to put it to good use during storms. I've been reading here and like the idea of subing to a company.

One thing I don't get is when you talk about charging per PUSH? does that mean clearing the lot/driveway or each time you go forward and push snow? sorry but I don't know the lingo yet.

The other question I had, is that I do have a full time job, but flexible hours. Is plowing mostly done in the early morning hours or you have to come back to a lot a second time in the afternoon on days of heavy snow? Just trying to get an understanding of the schedule I need to have.

Thanks so much!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Per push is from start to finnish1 time for each lot.

You plow when it starts to snow. If you do seasonal you keep plowing till it's done and your lots are clear. For per push sometimes you can get away with doing it in the morning and coming back later if not to mush snow fell .but each place has their own requirements on what the want done.
  3. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

What Grandview said. :salute:
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Per push for me is each time I show up at the account
    Plow with the storm or when your account wants it done. Each account may be different.
  5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

What do you mean when you say "If you do seasonal you keep plowing till it's done"?
  6. grandview

Meaning,when I do my plowing and its snowing I just keep plowing I don't have to ask if the lot needs to be plowed or keep track of snowfall for billing. When it starts snowing I go and plow till all the lots are clear.
  7. WIPensFan

Not trying to be an a$$ but I'm not sure how your doing this. I'm just curious because I don't do seasonal. Do you do resi. and comm.?
    Let's say it snows 2" or whatever your trigger is and you go out to plow. You do your entire route and in the mean time it has snowed 2" more so then you start again right away? Just trying to understand.
  8. grandview

Commercial only.

And yes.

Say you have 10 lots and you start plowing at 2 inches. Half way through the route and 2-3more inches fall you plow the rest of the route and then go back to the first ones and clean up the first half.
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

With a seasonal contract there are an unlimited # of plows. If they are calling for 3-4" during the day then I would most likely leave that until it stops. Now if they are calling for 3-4" overnight then we start at 2am. The ones that get done after 6 the salt should take care of what's left and the first ones we will have to go back and clean up. If they are calling for 6 or more then we start at 3" and do the entire route. I usually look at the radar and if it looks like it will be over in 2 hours max I might wait until the end. If it looks like it has a few more hours to go then we would just start again right then.
    It's not as hard as it sounds and the time of day/night has a lot to do with it.
  10. WIPensFan

Thanks for explaining. That's close to how I do it, but I do mostly resi. and only a few comm. If it snows during the day I do the resi's early the next morning or at night if I can be done by 11:00 p.m. of course the snow must be stopped to go at night. The comm. I do first in the morning or last at night. Also go there during the day to clear traffic paths.Every time I plow anything I charge for each one. That has been the big debate and question for new plowers and others on PS - Seasonal or per push - Per push works for my business.
  11. grandview

The seasonal or per push has been around as long as if Cet wears underwear under his kilt while he plows!:eek:
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

To the OP -

If you are new, I would try to some hourly subbing. A general might try to walk all over you on a per push situation. I think hourly is more typical for new plowers.

It is a great way to start though. You don't have to worry about contracts, wondering if you will make money, etc. Just get in your truck and plow. You get paid to learn the business. After a year or two you will understand better what it takes to be successful, and what to charge for contracts.

If you can add in a few decent resis, you can pick up some more quick cash.