1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the plowing bis.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bri113, Oct 18, 2011.

1. bri113

bri113 Junior Member

hello everyone i am 17 years old and want to get into the plowing industry! the vehicle i have to work with is a 2004 chevy 2500hd duramax diesel. the truck is lifted 6 inchs and has 35 inch tires. so naturally this could pose a problem. I want to run a western plow on my truck. can you guys give me sugestions on the type of plow and mount to run. I am pretty good at fabing stuff and have full access to welders, plasma cutters and loads of other fabrication tools so if i need to do some mods to a mount that wont be to much of a problem. i am on a limited budget so i will most def be buying a used plow. any other suggestions would be great as i am new to the plowing industry. my goal is to be up and plowing by the first snow fall. (which is pretty soon!)

2. bri113

bri113 Junior Member

Bump it upppp
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You had a great plow truck until the lift and tires went on it. What are you going to plow? Used plows bring top dollar in later October and November. I don't think you are ready to plow this winter. Go run somebody elses stuff and then put this all together next spring and summer.
  4. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Limited budget? How are you going to cover your insurance, taxation and repairs? Go look into insurance before you think of all this snow making you rich.
  5. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Yeah, I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Next season would probably be more realistic to be ready for. As said, check insurance. Also, as said, your truck was perfect until you spent the money for a brand NEW plow, on a lift and 35" tires.

6. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I don't know about IL, but here in Michigan I don't believe you can even operate equipment for anyone else until your 18 anyways. But like everyone else said, you're probably better off waiting until next year until you have a truck that's ready and insurance.