1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the Industry

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Bigmurph, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Bigmurph

Bigmurph Junior Member

I'm new to the industry, just trying to get into some residential driveways this year. I have an 03 F250 with a 4000lb FAWR, I'm going to upgrade the springs to the plow prep x code springs and get either a 7'6 Fisher HD or a 7'6 Western Midweight Steel or the 7'6 Pro. Is that a good set up? Would it be worth the time and money?

2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Its a good setup. Any of those plows would work for your truck, even without the spring upgrade. You might try to find a used plow to reduce your upfront cost. If your thinking of expanding to commercial down the road, I think the Pro plow is a better choice, more suited for commercial use.
    Is it worth the time and money? That depends on how much time your willing to sacrifice to get jobs and plow them. Don't expect to make a profit the first year. All the $ goes to pay off equipment and repairs usually. All the best.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

7 1/2's TOO small for your truck...even with wings

4. Bigmurph

Bigmurph Junior Member

You think that I should get an 8' plow? I see guys running 7'6's on F250's all the time. I am only going to be doing residential driveways I think the 7'6 is fine. But again I am new to all of this.

5. Bigmurph

Bigmurph Junior Member

You think that I should get an 8' plow? I see guys running 7'6's on F250's all the time. I am only going to be doing residential driveways I think the 7'6 is fine. But again I am new to all of this.

6. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

If you're running a reg cab/longbed or a supercab/shortbed and you have some tight spots in your resi route, the 7.5' does and will work. If you don't have many real tight spots, or if your running a supercab/longbed or bigger than the 8' is the better choice. Either way, I'd go with a backdrag edge on whatever you decide. I'd also go with the 8' if your route/truck combo allows it, mainly becuase it will make you a hair more efficient on resi's, but if you end up doing commercial later on, you'd be better suited.

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with an 8 footer hands down. Especially if your going to get into plowing more jobs. If you want to buy a 7'6", then you should check your local craigslist! There are plenty of good condition used plows out there.

8. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

3/4 ton to 1 ton trucks automatically means a 8 footer should be out on the front of it
    7.5 footer means a 1/2 ton truck and put wings on it that are removable......

reason being that a 7.5 ft plow on a 250 (3/4 ton) when you have the plow angled it will BARELY clear the path of your tires making hard packed snow, meaning more scraping/ salting.