1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the industry need advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Jun 8, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

:confused:Ok Company name is Scenic Excellence and my name is Ben English i own the company and operate every aspect of it.

I started this year for landscaping and it is alright for the minimal ads i have done. basically everything i do is from one ad on the web, my website or my business cards being handed out.

I am looking forward to what will happen for the years to come.

I am also thinking ahead to what i am going to do for the winter! i have two options and i can go either way.

The two options are demolition or obviously Snow clearing!

I have the know how to plow i got the basics!

I want to plow res drives and maybe small triplex lots (6 car lots)
    I have a 1999 ford explorer xlt 4 door and i am looking at getting a new or couple year old chev silverado 1500 4x4

I have a basic idea of what i want to charge I am looking at basic charges of res drives for 20 to 30 per plow. I don't want to salt, do not want the liability of it.

basically i want to charge $20 for one drag and $30 for 2 drags. up to 40 feet long.
    every four inches.

I don't know when i should advertise and also what is the best way for me to do it?

Are my prices a good idea to go with? How long will it take to do a res drive 30 ft long and one drag? What kind of practices do you have for damaged property like sod or walls along the drive? Are there any words of advice for me starting into the business for te first time this year?

Also gas is about $1.35 a litre here now and will be going up garaunteed by winter to i would imagine about $1.45 a litre

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hi, Ben. Sounds like you've got a good start. I don't know what you mean by "drag", cause you're not pulling anything. But if you talking about clearing a driveway one car wide and 40' long, I'd say get your prices up about 50%. You want to set a minimum and base pricing off that. I'd guess it'd take about half a minute to clear a one-car wide, 40' area, if you could push straight in with plenty of space to pile snow and no cars to contend with. As Far as damage, whether to the soil or buildings, you are responsible for repairs. Usually, you'll go around in the Spring and replant turf, repair retaing walls etc. If you hit a car or garage, you need to decide whether to fix it out-of-pocket or turn it into your liability insurance. I would pay to fix a garage door to keep my insurance from going up or being cancelled. Cancellation or non-renewal is common with liability insurance after a claim.

3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

We don't pay for any landscaping damage. Clearly written in contract that we aren't responsible for any driveway surface, plants or grass. Although i have paid to replace a plant or two to keep people happy, but i make sure they know i'm not obligated to do so.

If you hit a garage you wouldn't file a claim with your liability ins., it would be filed on your automobile ins.

In MA commercial policies don't get surcharged either.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've never had any damage to make a claim so I have no experience, but I would think the insurance company would deny the claim as you were in the act of plowing. Then it would go on the General Liability insurance.

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I suppose it depends on if you're properly insured. I have a commercial auto policy, they asked what the trucks would be used for and i told them "commercial snow plowing".

If you just have a normal automobile policy and aren't properly insured to plow snow, then of course they'd deny your claim. But if your insured like you should be, your automobile insurance would cover any damages caused directly by your truck.

Liability insurance would apply to cases involving negligence, like not performing work properly, or not living up to your contractual obligations.

So say Sally is walking across a parking lot and you plow her over. Your auto ins. would cover the damages to Sally (i.e. Doctors bills, and limited pain and suffering). But then Sally would probably sue you personally for being negligent and running over her, in which case your liability ins. would cover that part of the settlement.

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

My advice to you ben is get out of it now while your still sane. you will son end up like the rest of us that feel that they know everything about everything and soon will tell you that your wrong for wanting to get a chevy truck. iam very surprised no one told you ywt to get a didge or a ford truck yet lol

in all reality your best bet would be to become friends with someone close to you that plows and learn from them. getting into it new with no seat time plowing your gonna make alot of mistakes that could put you out of business right away. good luck to you and you new businessussmileyflag