1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the industry, how do I start?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Bigmurph, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Bigmurph

Bigmurph Junior Member

New to the industry, how do I start? Where do I begin? How do you get accounts? How do you advertise?

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

this late in the game i would say to go talk to some of the bigger outfitts in your area about subbing. you are going to need all the proper insurance and everything for them to even talk to you.

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

There is still time. In New England people wait till there is a storm in the forecast to find someone. I would make flyers, maybe mail some out, ask friends, post on craigslist and put ad in paper. Just get your insurance set up and be ready. They will come.

4. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Plow? Insurance? CPA? Business skills? Sales experience? Marketing? Previous plow experience?

5. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

The best way to learn an industry is to work in it. Find a mentor you like, work under him, steal all his ideas.

6. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

That's how I got into construction and look where that got me....... Wait don't look it's not pretty

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

HA HA, funny, but at the same a time realistic formula for venturing out on your own. Just remember, not everyone is cut out to be in their own business.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

That is about the best way you can phrase it. Most of us have been getting ready for this season when we finished last season. It will be tough to jump in now as most everything has already been awarded for this snow season.

9. international73

international73 Junior Member

just under bid ppl and get jobs, to get your name out there. sometimes you have to fight for contracts out there. get ruthless. thats business.

10. cole22

cole22 Senior Member

when you start plowing going fast trying to impress people don't work, take your time think about ware your pushing your snow and don't hit anything! That get expensive and doesn't make you look good!

11. jimc

jimc Junior Member

Myself I just subbed myself to a local company doing 3 property's all within 2 miles of me to see if cut out for this.I have plowed the lot where I work for the last 15 years.