1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the Industry Ford or Chevy 1 ton

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DNovak07, Dec 12, 2008.

1. DNovak07

DNovak07 Junior Member

I’m going to be staring up my own plowing company, not this season but maybe the next. I am looking at what would be the best truck to plow with. I know that I want a 1 ton, but I am unsure on if I would like a Ford or Chevy better. I hear from a friend going to Wyo-tech that the Duramax out performs the power stroke hands down. However, I know someone who was in the business and they said the Ford frames are better for handling the weight of a heavy plow. I also noticed that it seems used ford’s have worse resale values, does this mean I’m getting more for my money, or no one wants the truck because it inferior. Looking for something that can handle some commercial jobs, but still have maneuverability for residential. Also would like to have the Sno way revolution blade on it. All said and done between the plow and truck I’d like to stay within the 20000-25000 price range. Any input will help. Thank you.
  2. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

well your going to have to look used that blade alone will cost 6 or 7 grand i believe and a truck liek that new would be 40 or 50 grand so yeah,if i had to choose id get the duramax with the allie trans on a ford body and frame ahaha but no,if you can find a allie/duramax on a 3500 used go for it otherwise ford may be alot eiser to get in that price range
  3. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

The Ford has a much better body and frame in my opinion. It also has a solid front axle. The Chevy has the Duramax and the Allison. The Ford diesel (6.0,6.4) is the biggest piece of crap to ever come out of a car manufacturer. They have been plagued with problems since day one (Head gaskets, turbos fins freezing up, head bolts stretching, programming problems) Ford is dropping Navistar when their contract is up because of all the problems, so maybe you can wait till they come out with a new, in house, mfg. diesel. The Ford V10 is a very good engine, just not as much power as the diesels.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  4. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

IMO, the solid axle of the Fords is better for plowing.

Chevy will ride nicer with the IFS.
    If you get a 99-04 Ford with leaf springs the turning isn't the greatest....but it's better on the 05+ with coil springs.

As for the motors....stock or modded?

We have 11 Ford trucks, so I may be biased :D
    All the 7.3s and 6.0s have been good to us, don't have a 6.4.

I've looked at Dmaxs, 5.9s, and PSDs to pick up cheap to modify the motors for another nice play truck......they all get pricy to build up. Big $$ on the Dmax is a built aftermarket trans.
  5. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

I would guess a f350 regular cab with the diesel would be better for you. I don't know what that plow setup weights but the Ford's have higher rated front axles than Chevy. The GVWR is higher on it too. I was going off the plow selector from Western's website for 2005 models to see the ratings and what plows matched up.
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I love my Ford truck. It's got the 5.4L V-8. And it's super solid. But I wouldn't mind the Duramax if I was gonna go Diesel. If I were going to get a diesel, I would get a newer Duramax or Cummins, or an older 7.3L Powerstroke. The old Powerstrokes are killer! Just my opinion of the matter.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A Ford with the V-10 would be my choice.
  8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

The 10cyl would make ur truck feel like a race car. And i dont know if u have run any of the 6.0 or 6.4 power stroke the 6.4s r monsters and every motor has a few issues but there work trucks not honda civics.
  9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

By going to a D'max and Allison,you are getting the very best drivetrain out there today.The Chevy will handle any plow that is meant for it as good as a Ford,despite it being an IFS--nothing wrong with that setup.Ford might have a beefier front axle,but I for one don't like a teeth jarring ride and the ball joints have a short life span.Just today,I ran into the owner of my old '01 2500 D'max--now has 155K miles on her---still original ball joints and everything else still going strong.
  10. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I am not saying i dont believe it. But are you sure that guy knowns what it feels like to have woopd ball joints even more so carrying that d max around all the time
  11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Coke or Pepsi. Zenith or Magnavox, Hoover or Eureka, Johnson or Evinrude, Goodyear or BF Goodrich. See where this is going?
  12. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Also take the suspension into consideration. I believe the ford's have srping, while a lot of chevys have torsion bars. It was a pain in the a$$ to get mytruck all readjusted with the t bar front end.
  13. DNovak07

DNovak07 Junior Member

Another thing I was wondering is DRW or SRW. Is there an advantage to either? I am leaning towards SRW because I will be doing residentials mostly.
  14. lunatic81

lunatic81 Junior Member

Pepsi, Hoover, Johnson, Goodyear......am I supposed to guess where this going?:confused:
  15. DNovak07

DNovak07 Junior Member

I am sorry this is such a Pepsi/Coke question. Its just that before I spend $20k on a truck I'd like to know what I can expect as far a problems. I am really open to hear the few differneces there are between the 2 trucks and I really appreciate all the input thus far. Also, I was wondering what modifications would be the most benifical to the truck? I would probably get a chip for an increase in MPG, but what about air bags in the frount to keep the truck level, or any other suggestions. I'm trying to get the best total package for about 25k.
  16. Kunker

Kunker Member

Take a few trucks out, drive them, get a feel and see which one you like best. There are pros and cons to every make/model ever built, just see which one you are more comfortable. I think you'll end up in a Ford as I very rarely see a Dmax up for sale in that price range, but a lot of Powerstrokes. Does that make them a bad truck? I don't think so, and even being an anti Ford guy, I'd buy one.

Whatever you do, stay away from any sort of tuner chips unless you feel like spending a lot of coin on transmission upgrades.

SRW vs DRW, can you handle the extra width? If it's residentials, I'd say SRW myself, narrower and less to worry about. It's also a smaller contact patch with the ground with 2 less tires, so you should have a better grip (or so I've read) with the same load in the rear. The DRW might be a better choice if you're throwing a big salter in the back though.