1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to the game?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frue, Oct 29, 2008.

1. frue

frue Member
    from Pa

4 years ago i started doing my lawn customers driveways. I used a snowblower. Over the last few years I picked up some comercial sidewalks and had a slip and fall last year. I did not have any contract signed or anything. I just showed up when it snowed and snowblowed away.

My question is could someone tell me, should I have one second could I copy a sample one from one of you. My plan is to grab a snowplow and go a little further this year. I am just not sure of the whole contract thing. What i mean about contract is something like a hold harmless or something of that nature. Is it needed and what would you pros suggest for a newbe in this game.
    Thanks in advance
    Frue

2. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

most commercials require some form of liability insurance, that's your safest bet.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You had a slip and fall and didn't get sued? Damn are you lucky.
    Get insurance first and plow later.

4. frue

frue Member
    from Pa

I have 2 million in insurance. The lady settled out of court with the bank. I am not that lame in this game. Now what about the contract do i need one and what should it say?

5. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

My contract is about 20 pages long. Don't think that would fit in this post.

You should have contracts. They can help you get paid, and help avoid confusion. But if poorly done, they can increase your liability and help you NOT get paid.

At least have the customer give you instructions in writing. That way you can say you were following the customers wishes. If a customer doesn't want salt, get a contract that says the customer is responsible for salting/de-icing.

I had a slip and fall (head injury, ambulance, time off work, etc.) two years ago after a couple of 1/2 inch snows and never even heard from a lawyer. It was the first year that contract switched from "maintain free of ice and snow" to a 2" trigger with "any additional plowing/de-icing to be done at the request of the property manager." I was still surprised I didn't have to litigate though.

6. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

You definately need some form of agreement/contract signed.
    20 pages? no, My contracts are 3-4 tops.
    You can google snow plow contracts and several good samples will come up.
    I have an old contract I will try to find and send it to you.