1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the game

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chcav1218, Oct 4, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I've never drien a plow truck before and I am just looking for any advice on technique ot tricks of the trade that anyone is willing to give, besides the obvious things like "don't hit anything." Anything you have is helpful becuase I'm sure it's way more than I know. Thanks guys.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try this before the snow flies . Try hooking up your plow at night.Anyone can do it during the day. Another lesson later.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use the search feature, this has been covered numerous times. try a search under Newbie Questiions, or the topic heading you are curious about.

4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Do a pre-check of the lots/driveways your going to plow, look for obstruction or anything you dont want to hit while plowing!:waving:

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

GV I have enough trouble doing it during the day. I'm just gonna take ot on and off a million times until I can do it in like 5 minutes. Can anyone mount a Minute Mount in a minute?

6. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Did my old MM1 in 27 seconds. Make sure its on flat ground and the lift ram is all the way compressed down so that the chain has slack. - Nick

7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

under a minute here too.
    not sure what you guys are talking about with the hooking it up at night issue. the truck has lights and when you plug in the lights on the plow the plow now has lights so it isnt completley dark. Light enough anyway so you can tell what your doing.

now hooking the plow up after its already buried in snow and or is covered in ice, that has been a issue for me......

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Allways be in four weel drive. Go slow. Don't get to close to the dich. You will learn as you go.

9. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

its not very hard. plow with the storm, go slow when plowing, and plan the areas before plowing if your new to the scene. put up markers, etc. you will learn very quickly.

10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Yup, go to the site/s long before the storm and plan where your gonna pile the snow using a methodical efficient method. Check for any hazards such as raised manhole covers, fill lids (gas station) and imperfections in the asphalt that will trip a plow.
    We've done many of our lots for years but yet, every year we stake all the edges. Staking is cheap compared to wasting a couple of days in Spring reseeding all the "oops" or paying for a water shutoff pipe, l. scape timbers or any other landscape feature your client has decided to install over the summer.:rolleyes:

11. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

(Allways be in four weel drive)----I only plow in 4wd if I absolutely have to.

(You will learn as you go)----Is this like driving with the hit & miss method? (hit somethig you stop, miss it you keep going?)

12. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Oh here is something I;ve always been curious about, 4wd or 4wd low? I was thinkin just regular 4wd unless I get stuck or sometihng, right?

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

4wd high most of the time here. Although I mainly plow commercial large lots.

14. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

4lo when you need more torque to the wheels (for pushing wet heavy piles for example):drinkup:

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Whatever gear required to keep the truck in power band at your desired ground speed.

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Keep spare plow parts and fluid IN the truck. Know how to work on your plow. Make a route sheet and pre-drive it before the snow is on the ground. Push snow as far back as you can early to save a place to put snow late in the season.