1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the fourms and the business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bmlct, Nov 21, 2009.

1. bmlct

bmlct Junior Member
    from CT

I stumbled across this website and thought that I would post here.

Anyway, I'm only 18yrs old and considering joining the business for the 2010-2011 winter next year.

Reason being...I've plowed my residential driveway for years with just a tractor, and I'm considering looking for a used 3/4 ton truck with a plow. I have some grandparents that live by me, and I worry about them clearing their own driveway after a snow storm. I figured while I'm taking care of my own driveway and my grandparent's, why not get a few other driveways around town to take care of and make some money?

Here's where I'm going to ask the plowing experts for advice with starting out. Even though I'm young, I have a good head on my shoulders and I'm no dummy when it comes to operating equipment. I've done it before.

Also...I know that this isn't anything that is easy to get started. I know that I'm not going to make a million off snow plowing, nor am I expecting to. I know that it may be a hard dime to turn. I know that there are going to be costs associated with snow plowing. I'm a realistic person, I know that things take some work.

So with that said, where should I start? The initial cost vs. revenue is a non-issue because my priority is to find a better solution to my own driveway (my tractor is old and aging fast and the tinny plow isn't cutting it anymore) and I would like to take care of my grandparents so I don't have to worry about them slipping on the ice or anything. I reside in CT and I will be in FL for the spring semester, so that's why if I get into snowplowing it won't be until after my spring semester of school. Plus I can buy any winter equipment during the summer (from what I understand if you buy out-of-season it is generally less costly?) What insurance would I need? Do I need commercial plates? Right now I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado and I'm afraid to put a plow on that, it's treated me well and is a great everyday rider. It gets great gas mileage and I own it outright and I would prefer not to put snow plow wear on it.

Thanks for reading, and it's a pleasure to be a new member here! :waving:
  2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

welcome!! if you just going to driveways then small plow on your Colorado will be perfect but if you think you would like to get into commercial lots i would definably get a 3/4 or 1 ton ( ford would be best) with a 8 foot blade (western or boss)
  3. bmlct

bmlct Junior Member
    from CT

I would probably do a few driveways to start out...but if I do larger jobs, I wouldn't be able to use the Colorado for that.

I would rather buy one plow rig that can accommodate growth of a plowing business and last for a few years.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome, I'm only 15.
  5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Welcome to PS

Must be nice to stay 15 for so long and not get mulch older :rolleyes:
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

and a girl.... :laughing:
  7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

and always hitting on the newbs :laughing:
  8. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site BMLCT.
    Just remember that as soon as you start making money you have to get commercial insurance. Your regular insurance won't cover you. Check those prices out before you decide. You have to plow a lot of snow for free before you make any profit.