1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the forum!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Xxwhiteneonxx, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Xxwhiteneonxx

Xxwhiteneonxx Junior Member

Hello all! Ill start by introducing myself. My names Cody, im 23yrs old. I currently have experience in the automotive field. Im master certified through multiple organizations, i do welding fabricating, and performance builds. So with that being said...

I currently work for a dealer, and run a side business doing automotive performance work. the dealer i work for has me do all there plowing ( 5 acre lot, about 300 cars on the lot ). I've been plowing for them for 3 years now, and have gained alot of experience. i also know how to run equipment and own a backhoe, skid steer, and kabota tractor. My job has went downhill and the pay has gone to ****. Im looking to start a business plowing. Ive been reading on here and have learned alot. I am not your average kid and am very business minded. I do not currently own a plow, but i have the cash to buy a plow and other essentials. anyways nice to meet all of you and any advice is appreciated! ill continue to read on here and continue to learn! -Cody
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Cody best thing to start looking into is General Liability insurance, get a min of $1m coverage. Most work has been landed for the season, you'd probably be better oof subbing for another contractor. This will get you into the bizz a little quicker and also gives you more exposure to the bizz.
    If you go with a used plow to start with don't get one much older than a few years. Try to get a brand that is supported well in your area, dealer support is huge. Also keep in mind if you do find a good deal you'll have to get a mount, controller and wiring if the plow doesn't have it. These items will run aboot another $700-900.
    You can learn a lot here, give as many details as you can when asking questions otherwise you'll get shotgun blasted with questions instead of answers along with some crap. Also your location is helpful for answering questions aboot pricing, rates, etc..... you can show your location in your avi.

3. Xxwhiteneonxx

is there a specific company or companies to look into for business insurance? my parents business is through state farm but i dont know that would be the best for my situation. I am from beaver falls pa about an hour outside pittsburgh. i have a buddy who owns a local plowing business and i thought about trying to sub for hil this winter. As far as the plows go, im familier with multiple styles of the western plows which im not sure are a very good brand being we broke the welds on one already amd had to repair it. Im familiar with the controllers and such and installing them. Ive installed 4 of the wiring setups so far along with spreader wiring, a vibrater for the spreader, ( we cut our salt with sand and it clogs with no vibrater). Ect.. i by no means no alot, but have minor experience. -Cody
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Question would be what truck do you have? Who are the plow dealers in your area? Most normal auto insurance does not cover plowing for money. Or do plan on using your equipment? All plows have their issues and if your Western broke it was most likely due to abuse or age.
  5. kimber750

Listen to this guy, Buff knows all the Buzz about the plowing Bizz. ;)
    FredG and Dogplow Dodge like this.
  6. Xxwhiteneonxx

my buddy is a western dealer and stocks parts for them. id be plowing with a v8 4wd 1500 silverado but am open to buying a heavier gas or diesel truck. -Cody
  7. kimber750

Commercial plowing will put a beating on your 1/2ton. It will also limits your options for plows.
  8. Xxwhiteneonxx

i know itll put a beating on it but i can run it for a year and always get a heavier truck for the following season. As far as limiting plow choice, how does a lighter duty truck effect plow options? I just contacted my buddy and he said he may be able to hook me up with some sub work if i can get a plow before the season starts. -Cody
  9. kimber750

The amount of weight you can/should hang of the front. Plows are not light. Hanging a wideout off the front of a 1/2ton may cause some issues.
  10. Xxwhiteneonxx

the 1500 silverado i usedto plow with had a heavy duty western plow on it with the swingouts on the plow. Front of the truck was squatting so bad lol
  11. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome Cody.....

You seem like a fine young man with some. Good questions...Plenty of good info here...Not from me...But the info is here..One word of advice...ask intelligent questions and you will get intelligent answers...So far you are doing great...Good luck to you Cody...:drinkup:

One more word of advice...The day might come on here that you get your feelings hurt...Just laugh it off and move on....Too many guys take it way to personal...
  12. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Hey Cody. You said that youmight use the half ton for a year then a bigger truck. Just keep in mind like the others said the half ton won't really handle the type of plow a HD truck would. Just keep in mind when getting the plow the truck you want to move up too. You may need a new mount etc for the new truck. Maybe find a used plow for the half ton and save the coin for the new plow to put on the new truck in the future.
  13. kimber750

You are saying someone put a 1000# plow on the front of a 1/2 ton? o_O
  14. Xxwhiteneonxx

Don't worry, I wont get butthurt when somebody tries to hurt my feelings lol.
  15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome Cody,
    One thought is your backhoe or skid if they have a cab. You could lease them out for work with you being the operator. That way you could bypass paying the liability Ins.
  16. Xxwhiteneonxx

I like the idea with using a used plow with the 1500 until I get a bigger truck. Ill have to look on craigslist for a used western. Now should I get one with the expandable wings? I use both styles at work and prefer the one with the wings on the sides.

As far as insurance goes, who should I contact? Whats a few insurance company names that cover such things? I know state farm told me theyd cover me small business wise for grass cutting, but this may be something I leave to a different insurance company. So any names I can call for quotes would be greatly appreciated.
  17. Xxwhiteneonxx

Yes. Wasn't my call it was my works. I used it, but it wasn't fun lol.
  18. Xxwhiteneonxx

My backhoe has a cab, the skid does not.
    I never thought of doing that though.
  19. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Welcome to plowsite Cody. My advice for obtaining the proper insurance is to contact a local insurance broker or two and speak with them
  20. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome aboard. Get a used plow for the 1500. Make some money this year. Next year, if ya like doing this, go for the bigger truck/plow set up.
    FredG and ktfbgb like this.