1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Michael DeRose, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Michael DeRose

Michael DeRose Junior Member

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike Derose. I own a roof cleaning and power washing company in south jersey. I Have a season under my belt with plowing and salting. Currently I am working as a sub for another company but would like to get more into the contract side of things to make more money. I have a2008 f250 gasser with a Meyers plow and salt dog spreader ( tailgate tsg06). I recently just purchased a ram2500 6.4 liter and im have a salt dog 8ft plow installed next week. Not really planning on putting a salter on that but if things change I will.

If you have any advice for me I am all ears and if I can answer anything for anyone I am just a phone call away or email.

I will use the search button before I ask any questions. Thanks.

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

If you are thinking about getting into it on your own this season its a little late, take the year to start working on a plan for pricing, figuring out your costs, insurance costs, etc. Are you thinking commercial or residential plowing for yourself?

Use both trucks to sub this year. Welcome to the site!

3. Michael DeRose

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I plan on being a sub this year but I will try and get my own contracts for next year. I was thinking more commercial and maybe some residential. I have a large data base of residential that I could market to but I like the idea of going to the bigger commercial accounts and to me its a lot less driving around. But at the same time I am open to any suggestions and opinions. I have a gl policy right now and its now problem to add the snow insurance.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If you're subbing now, you should already have insurance for plowing snow.

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Unless you're GL is a Landscaper's GL policy, I cannot see how you could get a snow rider added to your GL. No insurer I know will do this. You have to purchase a separate GL for SNOW ONLY, as far as I know. You're a maintenance contractor (assumed by your company's name), and I cannot see your policy being different from mine, other than maybe your regular GL is more expensive than mine because I don't walk roofs anymore.

I agree to continue whatever it is you're doing, and look forwards to next year.

BTW, cheapest quote (last year) for a standalone GL Snow policy was $3500. That's fully earned (no cancellations allowed), also, payable in full before you get it.

Welcome to Snowville. Grab a corncob pipe and the smoking section is out the side door...Thumbs Up

6. Michael DeRose

Correct I have to get a Stand alone gl policy thru my agent. As of right now I am covered under the landscaper I work for.

7. Michael DeRose

Not sure how much you gl is but mine is around 2100. My wc is more expensive becuase we work on roofs.

8. JustJeff

I had a snow rider added to my GL policy. Erie insurance.

9. JustJeff

Don't know if I believe this (or if you should either) I've subbed for many years and every company that I've subbed for required me to carry my own insurance policy and have them listed as additionally insured as well.

10. Michael DeRose

I will call again on Monday and confirm but that's how it was last year. I did ask last year if I needed my own coverage and they said no that I'm covered under their policy. Have you ever heard of that?

11. JustJeff

No, never heard of it. I CAN use my company's workman's comp. insurance, but not liability. I'd bet anything that if you are out there and damaged something the company would throw up their hands and say it's your responsibility to take care of it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  12. Michael DeRose

Well looks like I have some investigating to do. I don't want to put myself in a bad spot. To much too lose.

13. Rangers recover

Rangers recover Junior Member

Well welcome I don't post often because these guys know way more then me but do help if I can gassier will be fine diesel you Kay want to get Egor delete done a tuner and some other mods so I'm Shawn and ask away every answer to any question you have someone has the answer

14. Rangers recover

Rangers recover Junior Member

Its two separate policies in il

15. Michael DeRose

Thanks and I will.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

My GL is excavation and paving. I had completed snow operations added to my policy.( Dryden Mutual) Have some proof your a experienced operator. They could put restrictions on you. Meaning no high traffic area like grocery stores etc.

17. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You live in Illinois..

It's different here

18. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

It depends on the contractor, Some carry extra insurance for subs including WC. Others think when your subbing your on your own. Which is the norm. This is rare for a contractor to cover a sub.

I would want my own snow coverage even subbing. If you want to do it this season you better get hustling the only ones left now are the ones holding off for the guy that missed a bunch of bids and are hungry for work.

You will be surprised what these property owners will do to find someway out of paying the right money for the service. It's not your performance anymore and the equipment you own its the saving of money even with a poor performance.

19. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I don't live in Illinois, And no question you can just get a plowing policy and keep your GL as is. I won't argue that it is different in Illinois because I have no idea. I do no it is much more cost effective to add snow to your GL.

Why would you have to be A landscaper to add snow to your GL. Is there no excavating contractors etc not moving snow in Illinois. Around here there is a lot of guys that plow snow and are not landscapers.

If your biz consists of the type of work you can not do in the winter they plow snow around here. Roofers, General Contractors, Paving contractors. Excavating you name it. You also have the guy that only moves snow.

Just saying no negativity intended.

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A sub... is a contractor, a" stand alone business" that is hired by a company to do a service or job.
    No one caries WC on a sub....
    Nor do you insure someones else's business, well you could if your crazy...

If they insure you and have wc on you, your an employee.

why can't folks get this.
    A few of you need to read this,
    https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Smal...ependent-Contractor-Self-Employed-or-Employee.

Below is a list of the top types of insurance recommend for professionals in this wintry industry…

General Liability Insurance.
    Property Insurance.
    Business Owner's Policy.
    Commercial Auto Insurance.
    Workers' Compensation Insurance.
    Umbrella Insurance.
    Commercial Auto Insurance can cover any vehicle you use for work-related purposes and your snow plow can be included in this coverage. Some of the situations than can be covered under a Commercial Auto Insurance policy include…

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015