1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to the forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pipelayer, Oct 6, 2013.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

hey all, im new to the forum here, and new to the industry on my own here. i have plowed before, here and there for a family member or two, never had my own setup or anything, ran my dads old rig quite some time ago. however, ive been using a backhoe for a good chunk of my life, and its been mainly for snow removal. Anyway, i just picked up a minute mount 2 system for my truck, and am in the process of having it mounted and wired up. should be all set up by the end of the week. Ive set some things up with a business associate of mine to sub out for him this winter doing quite a few lots, and even some roads in a private development, I will have a few questions in the near future im sure, and im eager to get going on my second job this winter ( plumber, fitter by trade) just wanted to introduce myself, and if anyone has any suggestions on getting started or anything to upfit the truck with or anything at all feel free to let me know. take it easy all Thumbs Up

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plow site.

3. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Welcome to the site.

Back up lights !
    A must for not backing into things at night.
    I'm switching to flood lights, two on the truck that go on when I put her in reverse and a pair on the sander that I can turn on and off when that extra light is needed.

4. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

I had those in mind. My local napa stocks a set of some gnarly LED lights i wouldn't want to get stuck behind. I may put them on, but if you want brighter than bright man, check those out also. I have floods sittin on my shelf made by truck-lite and I'm probably going to leave them there now

5. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

But I may do those LEDs sooner than later. Thanks man

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

warning light/strobe light, spare parts with the tools you'll need, insurance, customers all will also help. Good luck this winter.

7. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

strobe light is commonly over looked...dont over look it! if you get into a parking lot at night with 2 or 3 other trucks with no strobe lights, you will hate your self, add 4 more trucks and 2 or 3 loaders, and you will really have your self, can't see them, they can't see you.

8. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

LOL, your right about having Customers.

That is the most important thing to have of all.

Or be able to subcontract to someone else in the area.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Join SIMA, ASCA both provide excellent training/informational materials.

Upgrade the charge line from your alternator to the battery. Search the web, there are a thousand posts on how to do it.

Nice big muilti head strobe, not the little $19-49 dollar cheapy.

Good WINTER tires, look for a snowflake in a triangle molded in the sidewall. Nokain makes the best payup

Extra socks, gloves, water, tow strap, a heavy blanket (or sleeping bag) and a good flashlight with extra batteries in the cab.

10. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

got a set of strobes for my truck, and a nice strobe lightbar for my backrack made by hella already, im subcontracting for someone this winter, and i have a few customers ofmy own, so those bases are covered lol i have brand new terra grapplers on my truck for now. i just have yet to get insurance. nothing one phone call cant cover. i carry tow straps, and chains, socks is a damn good plan too lol

11. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Jump bag.

Extra hoodie of sweater, if you get a sweat going dry stuff to change is a good thing. Roll of toilet paper and chemical hand warmers find a bag you can leave it all in, put it in your shop ready to go. Welcome, have fun,be safe.