1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the forum, but not quite to the job

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by hatefulmechanic, Dec 28, 2012.

1. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Howdy from SWVA, down near Roanoke and Virginia Tech (don't hold that against me!)

Name's Joey, own a repair shop in a small town, been doing snow removal for about five years as a business. Kinda got dumped into it when a customer of mine (landscaper) had his T300 at my shop getting work done and we got hit hard with a blizzard a few years back, and he had no interest in moving snow. I used his machine (hey, gotta test them out and make sure the repairs are done right ya know ;) ) and got several customers, so I started building machines over the next few years.

Main truck is what we call FrankenPlow, started as a 91 F250 that was abandoned on my lot when the customer got arrested. Another customer of mine (another landscaper) had just installed a Fisher on his Dodge, did TWO jobs and had an idiot hit him head on right in the plow. Insurance company wanted me to remove the plow so we could measure the frame, and of course the truck was a total loss due to frame damage. They never picked the plow up, and after six months I managed to get it for storage.

It's been in several configurations over the years, ugly as hell at first:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we were sitting around drinking till the storm stopped....

[​IMG]

2. hatefulmechanic

Dirty little slut loving every minute of hard work

[​IMG]

After a couple of years of being the abused step child, we did a bit of repair, put a used flatbed on it, a small Myers spreader, and gave it a coat of OD Green. The O*F*C*D is the initials of my company, Old Field Creek Developers, LLC. Went for that old army look ya know.

[​IMG]

I am an old school fan, I LOVE old iron. I would rather buy an old piece of equipment or truck, and spend hours fixing it up, than buy a new truck or equipment. Case in point: Gravely's.

[​IMG]

Normally I keep a blade on them for walks, but I do have a few MA210 blowers if we get more than a few inches.

I also have a 252B skid steer that we are building a flip blade for, and an old Bruin single axle dump with a 6-71 Detroit that is getting a Henderson spreader and 11' blade for some of my contract work with the state we are bidding on.

Most of my work is HOA's doing subdivisions, I do some work for Ferrandino and Sons also (Food Lion, Wells Fargo, FAS Mart, etc) and although I have seen some negative comments about them, I have very few issues with working for them.

I will post more pics of my equipment as time goes on, the Cat should be next in line (making a cab enclosure and heater for it right now).

Nice to meet ya'll!

3. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

It don't have to be new or good looking all that matters it you are getting the job done. And I think that old ford looks good with the flat bed on it.

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Hateful >>>> keep the pix coming >>>>> nice equipment

5. hatefulmechanic

Ive got a bunch of invoicing to do tomorrow, so Ill be in the office and pop up some more pics of the Gravelys, skid steers, sweeper and mowers.

6. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

any more pictures?

7. hatefulmechanic

Getting abuse last winter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a lot of rural driveways that only call when the snow is 6" or deeper, so I made these skids up to keep from gouging the gravel and knocking off the crow. Gotta pin the trip edge when using them of course, but it does a good job of leaving 2-3" of clearance.

[​IMG]

8. hatefulmechanic

Over the summer when we had a bit of time, we repaired the rust damage on the body

[​IMG]

One of the Gravely's with a blower, this was from last year before they got repainted.

[​IMG]

I kinda regret selling this truck, it would have made a damn good spreader and plow truck. Plowing in an NPR is amazingly nimble.

[​IMG]

9. hatefulmechanic

The Bruin doing what it does best: Having its Detroit running at full fuel hauling logs for the firewood operation

[​IMG]

1974 F600 that was my wifes grandfathers, we restored it a few years back and keep it going during the summer hauling logs from jobsites we are clearing

[​IMG]

Part of the firewood operation last year

[​IMG]

Some of my customers wanted the wood stacked, so I built some 1/3cd racks we loaded at the stockpile, then used a skidsteer to place at their homes.

[​IMG]

10. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Cool pics, is that Locust?

Anyway have a question for ya...

I've noticed some of your posts, and thought you would be the right guy to ask about this. During last weekends storm I was running a plow that ended up having a short. At some point throughout the night, I lost power to my instrument cluster. And eventually, the short shut down the truck all together. I unplugged the plow, and the truck eventually started up on its own again, but would only run for five minutes at a time when it started to surge, and then would just quit. I charged the battery overnight, checked all the under dash fuses, and they appear to be good, specifically the fuse for the instrument panel. I don't know if the alternator is charging and am not sure how to proceed. Plow is a MM2 with a short at the power cable connected to the motor.

11. hatefulmechanic

Yes, we did almost 100cds of locust last year. 200cds of Hickory. Right now, I can't get enough good help to cut and split with the setup I had (2 splitters, 3 saws and a grapple skid steer supplying them) so I am just stockpiling till I get time to finish building the processor I have been working on. Modeled after a Woodbine Rapido Loco.

What kind of truck?

12. ducaticorse

from we

Shoot, sorry. 04 Ford F350 GAS. Tried pm'ng u about it but you dont accept them

The self contained conveyor systems are the shiznit....l.

13. hatefulmechanic

Not sure what is up with the PM thing, I did not see any options on my side that prevented them.

First thing I would check is the output of the alternator, those trucks will NOT run if the battery voltage is low. Likely fried the regulator in the alternator when the short went in the pump. If you need to replace the alternator, I strongly suggest going with a Motorcraft unit or a NEW aftermarket unit. I have ran around in circles chasing diag in the past only to find a reman alternator had the wrong regulator installed. They are the same connector and physically fit, but the PCM will not control the regulator like it should.

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Nice pics Hateful. That Gravely "thing" would be my worst nightmare!:D

You sound like a busy man, good for you. Nice flame job BTW. Remind me to never call you and your buddies if I want flames on my truck.:laughing:

15. ducaticorse

from we

This may be a rookie question, but can you test the alt installed, or does it have to be taken out?

16. hatefulmechanic

They are some of the most reliable machines ever built, and weighing in at 850lbs don't hurt things (other than the back)!.

Strangely, OD Green is now the color of all the SageBrush trucks. The property management bit came in as a part time thing that used some of my equipment I would come across, yet for 2013 I have more contracts than ever before, and sales that are almost identical as the ones from my repair facility.

And I don't have to deal with idiot customers when I mow grass or sweep!

17. hatefulmechanic

Another old iron in the ranks, this is one of the sweepers I run almost nightly. Picked it up last year, have had to replace the fan engine and am currently getting the bugs worked out before it goes to paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the job...

[​IMG]