1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the forum and industry!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

Alright this is the deal.

i am getting a 2005 f150 and a cplow how will this setup hold up and what, if any are the down falls of either truck or plow. The plow is a used 1 year old and i get brand new mounts for the truck and the 2" lift needed for about 6400 the plow was only used one season by the dealer, he currently has it on a f150.

I am going to be plowing mainly residential drives per plow not per season or month. I might pick up a couple small commercial accounts on seasonal basis
    how many plows are charged out for the season normally in Ontario canada.

Anything you want to throw out for me to read then go striaght for it.

I am going to be doing this all the time not just one year.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just be aware that the lift will change the angle of attack on the plow. You may want to adjust for that. How many miles on truck and was the plow already on it? You want to check the front end components closely for wear if it was. A lot of people plow with 1/2 ton trucks (I did) but they wear out a lot faster than the 3/4 or one tons. After a couple of years plowing, the payments on a one ton was less than the repairs I was making to the 1/2 ton. I now plow with a 3/4 ton - another one ton was more than I really needed when I decided to quit sanding.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree with Mick, ont he 1/2 ton

We run a 1/2 ton, for some of our small stuff, and its a older GMC it works fine you just got to keep up on the Prev Maint. and repairs.

Also like he said the Lift will screw with the angle some.

What type of plow?

4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

2" of lift will not hurt the attack angle at all guys. I have 4.5" of lift and do not have a problem with the attack angle of the plow. Meyers said 11" from the ground to pin point of the plow was the max attack angle before you have problems.

5. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Ok thanks steve, some plows it might just something to thank about.

6. ScnicExcellence

it is a hiniker c plow

the truck i am looking at is a off lease 2005 f150

never used for plowing it has about 130000 i think it is that range

looking at 10000 for the truck and total about 6000 for plow

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's an awful lot of miles for a 1/2 ton, especially to start plowing with - even worse having been a leased vehicle. If that is the 7' plow, it's too much money and if it's the 8', it's too heavy for the truck. Sorry, but I'd pass without even seeing it.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

looks at the specs on this unit, with that kind of weight no way you want to put this on a F150. http://www.hiniker.com/snow_products/hp_cplow.html

A lease turn on with 130,000 miles on it! Wow the mileage overage charges must have been incredible. there's way to many miles on that thing to start life over as a plow truck.

Why a lift kit??? Normally that's the last thing you want on a plow truck.

I agree with Mick it's not a good deal. Find a differant truck, if you plan on the truck lasting more then one season and want to carry a C-plow get a 3/4 ton

9. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Since he's from Canada, I think it has 130,000km, not miles, so that's about 100,000 miles. Either way, that's a lot of miles/km.

With the price of fuel going up almost daily, the prices of trucks are decreasing quite rapidly. You should be able to get a 3/4 ton truck with fewer miles/km for just about the same amount as that F150. If I was in your shoes, I'd go with at least a 3/4 ton truck, and nothing smaller than an 8' plow.

I do not know about the prices of plows in Canada, but $6,400 seems like way too much money for a used plow. You should be able to get a brand new plow installed for much less than that. It might even be worth driving to the States and buying one here! Even with the price of fuel and taxes, you would still be saving money!

Look elsewhere, and see what kind of deals you can get. This setup seems to be way too much money for too little truck and plow.

Good luck,

Evan

10. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Evan,

Good job on the Canada=KM lol

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The plows are alot more expensive here. a 9'2 Boss is over 8k installed and the prices have came down alot in the last few years. I paid over 9k for one in 2002.:cry:

12. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

You got that right! I'm going to the states if I decide to get a plow this year.

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I probably wouldn't pay more than $5k for that truck, and probably less. I've gotten both of my trucks for less than that. I'd keep looking if I were you, because you can do much better on a truck.

14. ScnicExcellence

the truck is fine for the plow around here there are alot of people using a 8' plow on them they just have to beef up the suspension the truck i am looking at has the same engine as the 250 anyways it is the 5.4 litre v8 triton, the truck is a 2005 and with 130000 km's and that is only 80000 miles the price of 9000-10000 for that truck is good it is the extended cab with the back seats. I have been debating on getting the regular cab that is a whole lot less cost only about 6000-7000 the plow looks like brand new, it is only 5400 for the plow installed with brand new mounts, that is 1000 less then buying the plow without installation new, then there is about 300 to 400 for a 2" lift.

for 5000 for a truck that i can drive around as a daily driver as well as use for plowing and landscaping, that would be a truck that is 4 to 5 years older and has about 220 to 350 000 kms on it, to me that wouldn't be a good idea as i don't see a truck with 220000 km's on it lasting long for plowing or for hauling a small tandem trailer around.

the hiniker c plow brand new around here is about 7000 installed!

how much would a hiniker c plow be to just buy and have them load it in my truck if i went down there! i don't want to drive for three days either! i wouldn't mind going somewhere in buffalo or something

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  15. ScnicExcellence

just wondering with all the rain this year i am thinking there will be alot of snow!

i just wondering how when i get a res customer to i keep them on as a customer do i have a contract and have them pay per push on the contract or how does this work?

16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

It doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, but I think you can find a 3/4 ton with a little higher miles for about the same price. It will be better in the long run for you I think.

17. ScnicExcellence

i have been thinking about it with the price of gas might as well get diesel for the better consumption of fuel and also it will last a whole lot longer.