1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the forum and advertising questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fordplowguy250, Nov 12, 2015.

1. fordplowguy250

fordplowguy250 Junior Member
    from Mass

Hello Everyone,

Glad to be part of a wonderful community of like minded folks. Thank you for accepting my business and I into this forum.
    I have been in the snow removal business for a few years now. I am looking to grow in regards to clientele. I currently service a handful of accounts which is not too bad for just starting out but there is in fact room for improvement. So here are my questions; first off, which advertising is best? We live in a world full of technology so I have been working on advertising through a few social media websites. Despite my efforts I haven't had the "phone ring off the hook". I am not sure my next step, I thrive for a busy year, I am sure I don't stand alone, but the business seems to be stuck growth wise. My next question could open up a can of worms, and yes I have found an abundance of information on the forum already, but I would like an answer specific to my case, INSURANCE!!! The accounts I currently possess are strictly residential but in the future I do plan on taking on a few commercial accounts. Insurance wise what would work best for my business?

Thank you for taking the time to read through my trials and tribulations.
    I look forward to working with Plowsite community.

Best Regards,
    Brandon Buoniconti
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Offer your current customers a discount for their service for every contract that you secure based on their leads (in their neighborhood).

What is your question about insurance? I don't understand. It sounds like you don't have insurance now, and YOU SHOULD?
  3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

In terms of advertising this late in the season, HarleyJeff has given you probably the most effective way. The only other one I would do is door to door with flyers. You live in MA and people (most) know to have their plow guy by mid-late october in case we ever get that november storm.

For insurance, you need to talk to an insurance agent. You are plowing for money, and Im 80% sure that means you need commercial plates in MA along with commercial insurance. Since you plan on taking on commercial accounts too you will need GL insurance on top of your insurance for the vehicle, make sure they know you are plowing with it.
  4. fordplowguy250

from Mass

I have made up a few flyers and will pass them out. I did start advertising back in August, will out success.

As for my insurance. I have commercial plates, but no commercial insurance. I have contacted my insurance company and they are suppose to get back to me with answers to my questions but it has been a week now. I will explore other insurance companies. I currently have travelers insurance, through what insurance company do you guys hold your GL?
  5. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

The above threads are good info. and are worth a shot. You can not grow a business to quickly with the best of efforts. It takes time to get your name out there.

Keep working everyday the biz will come. You will need proper insurance your clients will ask for it. Push for some small commercial accounts. If you do a good job people will come in there and ask who does your snow removal. I obtained a good amount of work this way.

I know a bunch of guys using homeadvisorpro for residential.
  6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Advertising is hard to peg down to a simple formula. What I've learned is that you have to have consistency to it. Just having your name and services flashed at them doesn't always work. You need it to be when they are ready to buy.
    With flyers, put them out in the summer, then another wave in October.
    Newspaper and magazines...have the same spot consistently, people read the ads but don't act on them right away. They throw the paper away but when they think about your ad they need to be able to find it in the next issue. You can also buy blocks of ads cheaper if you tell them you want multiple issues or a years worth.
    Letter your vehicles, it's a rolling billboard. When I ask People how they heard of me, 75% of the time it's " I saw 1 of your trucks. "
  7. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Your company logo on your trucks and equipment is very important, We get a fair amount of calls were people see are trucks. For the cost of having your logo cut and installed on your truck is cheap advertising.

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Brandon were in mass are you.
  9. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Good advice right there. And OP, I use Erie insurance.
  10. fordplowguy250

from Mass

I thank everyone for your valuable input. What you guys are saying makes sense, you cant grow a business over night. Rome wasn't built in a day! I will just have to be persistent with advertising, I do like the idea of holding a few promotions.

SNOWANDICEMAN: I am in the Worcester county area.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015