1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to the ford diesel .....need help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mass1589, Nov 25, 2011.

1. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

hey guys ive been on the forum for a while now and have been plowing for myself and others over the past few years. this year im looking into buying a ford diesel. ive always been a gm guy, i owned a silverado 2500 hd with a fisher 8' but i just keep coming across some nice deals money wise on ford reg. cab deisels'. ive heard the ford 6.0l powerstroke has some issues that if get looked into can lead to a worry freee dependable truck. ive never owned a diesel so i really dont have any background with them!

my plans to buy ...

03-07 ford deisel
    reg. cab
    fisher 8' plow (maybe9')
    around 85k to 105k for miles

sooo what should i do to ensure it is is in the best running condition for dependability and long term life of the truck???any help here is greatly apreciated thanks!

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

3. White Duramax

White Duramax Junior Member

They are cheap cause everyone knows they require more money to maintain. It's not such a good deal after you have to put head gaskets, egr delete, oil cooler, ficm, injectors or whatever else has an issue.
  4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

5. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

i have thought about that issue...if i buy a cheaper ford and spend the difference in repairs what is the benefit, but this truck will absolutley not be used a DD and not be towing. its main use is for plowing in the winter and the here and there drive in the off season. i didnt know if maybe that would be any easier on the engines?
  6. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

They seem to have no rhyme or reason why they work or blow up. Some are good, some are bad.

A buddy of mine was looking all last year and came up with several 6.0's in the area he looked at. 2 of them blew white smoke on the test drive (EGR Cooler blown), two of them wouldn't start below 40 degrees without 2 cycles of the glow plugs. One of them blew up while on the test drive. Loud bang and lot's of coolant spewing out the bottom of the truck.

All the trucks had less than 110K on them. So, out of maybe 10 or 11 trucks he looked at, 7 of them were Ford 6.0's of those, 5 of them either blew up, or showed signs of a 5-8K dollar fix needing to be done immediately.

Any wonder why he bought a Duramax?

When talking with a good friend at Ford who specializes in the Diesel trucks, he showed us the Dodge key in his pocket and said if someone gave him a 6.0, he would sell it to buy another brand. He didn't seem all that impressed with the 6.4 either.

The only way I would buy a 6.0, is if I didn't have to smog it, I had a lift that could take the cab off so I could do all my own work on them, and it was nearly free. For me, it's a no-go since I don't feel like pulling the cab off the frame, just to do the major maintenance and repair issues these trucks are going to need in order to be reliable enough to use. I drive a lot of places in the middle of nowhere, and the last thing I want is a $2K dollar tow bill to a shop that is going to charge me $6K to fix an engine that should never have been allowed to see production in this form.

I know Dodges suck, but there is no way in heck I'd buy a Ford with the 6.0 in it. Not even for a plow truck. Just too many things to go wrong and too much $$$ to fix them.
  7. Mgbss

Mgbss Junior Member

If you spend your money on the Ford and it comes apart some night while plowing you will be done until you replace the truck with something else no quick cheap fix on those things.

The only way I would own a 6.0 is if I had a personal friend that new them inside and out and could do all of the deletes that they need before I ever drove it, and got it for 50% of the cost of a Chevy or Dodge. By the way I do have such a friend and I still wont own one.

Removal of the cab is required to remove a head on a 6.0 in case you didn't catch that above

I love plowing with a Diesel truck but here there is 90 cents difference in a gallon of Diesel and Gasoline :help: its getting old
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  8. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I would try to find a truck 02 and older they are all the 7.3 and are great trucks but if you mush have a 03 or newer I would not buy a 03 or 04 6.0 you will have noting but problems. also I hate to point you away from this form but if you go here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php the people know so much about these trucks its just crazy
  9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if you look on any of the ford diesel forums, you will see the general consensus of "Bill" at powerstrokehelp is that he talks a big story to get people coming to his shop, but a lot of what he recommends and calls must do is a waste of time and money cause it is not necessary.

if you really want a ford diesel, stick with the 7.3.
    there are just way too many issues with the 6.0 engine.
  10. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Like the others are saying buy a 7.3L.

That engine was used from 99 (Ford had two years of 99, no 98 model) and into mid year 03 when they switched to the 6.0.

Or spend the big bux and buy the new 6.7L engine.

After my 2000 F250 with 7.3 was wrecked this past July I spent nearly 3 weeks looking for a replacement. Most of the trucks have high miles and a high price tag.
    I finally found a 2000 7.3L with 96K miles on for $11,500.
    10k miles later and so far nothing major. Wheel bearing and brakes, oil changes etc.
    The engine sounds better than the one that was wrecked.
    Low mileage 7.3s are out there, just requires some looking and patience.
  11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I haven't had any issues with my 6.0L. A lot of these issues I bet are from guys who added or deleted 1 or 2 things and didn't finish the job as it should have been, then probably beat the crap out of it doing burn outs, racing it etc. They all have their issues and buying anything used adds to the dilemma. I was on You Tube the other night, looked up F350 something or other and there were tons of idiots racing and doing tug-of-war with other trucks and breaking things. I learned years ago with my 1979 Z-28. I wanted more power (as any kid would) I added header's, then different intake and carb, then it started to get expensive. I added a huge cam but had to have the heads completely redone, then had to have the tranny redone and it goes on and on. Point is if you do one thing, you need to do 10 other's to make it right.
  12. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

bought my 1 owner 6.0 with 105k on it for $10k.. I have 115k on it now, I did the egr delete and oil cooler myself using youtube videos for instruction.
  13. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

I wish that was the only cause of failures.

From what I've been able to determine during my short time of speaking with 6.0 owners, the underlying theme for them blowing up is to drive them for grocery duties and very rarely work them like they should be worked.

The ones who get worked hard day in and day out have a somewhat lower failure rate, but not much.

I know 2 guys who bought 05's and they were bought back under the Lemon law, but not after the trucks spent the better part of 2 years in the dealers back lot gathering dust, while the poor saps had to keep the payments up on trucks they couldn't drive.

One guy I know drove his 04 to the bank and told them they could fight with Ford, he was done. He took it in the shorts for 15K to get rid of that P.O.S. He said it was worth every penny not to have to deal with that pile on a daily basis. He replaced it with a 79 K3500 that has been more reliable and gets about the same MPG loaded with his 5th wheel as the 6.0 did. The speed pulling is lower, but the lack of payments were worth it to him to drive 50 instead of 65 up the hills.
  14. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

This is my 2 cents on the Ford 6.0.
    My god what a nice truck….but what a junk engine.
    I’m a mechanic but I don’t work on these all the time so take it for what you have experiences to compare it to.
    Right now the prices of these trucks are falling but not by nearly enough. They are still being sold to people who like these really nice trucks who see that the prices a bit lower than then other diesels and get sold in a hurry. We’ll call them the emotional and uninformed truck buyer who wants to save a buck.
    Even “if” you spend the 6 to 7 thousand to so-called fix this engine it’s no guarantee. There are not enough head bolts per square inch on their heads, their oil coolers leak and the ones who replace them cool the oil too much causing extra engine wear. The turbo’s are known to fail, the bottom end of the engine is adequate at best. And if you don’t cool the oil too much these engines shear the heck out of their oil and you have to change it every 4 to 5 thousand miles. This engine will never be like a Cummins which can run a million miles(literally) until it needs a rebuild. I place the Ford 6.4 as a better engine but still has cooler and head bolt issues-but better but not great in the long run.
    If you see one for a great price-a really –really good price like $8,000 buy it and slap in a modified 12v Cummins and you will have a truck you will never sell.
    Good luck
  15. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Or.....find a little bit older truck with a 7.3 PSD. Which is what I did. Actually, it was my father in law's truck. A 2000 F250 ext. cab long bed with 70,000 miles! Nice truck!

16. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

There are products coming out for the 7.3 soon. Like a common rail injection system and they already have high pressure oil pumps.
    So soon the 7.3 will have the power of the new engines!!

No one can go wrong with the 7.3, except for fuel mileage....
  17. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Now that sounds interesting!! More info, please!