1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the Fisher MM plow setup

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 02allison, Jul 9, 2016.

1. 02allison

02allison Junior Member

Hello, Im Nick and im new to the forum. I have a diesel truck shop and for moving any kid of gravel and or snow etc i purchased an 02 duramax that came with a Fisher plow setup. First off i want to say it seems to have been wired professionally and that the setup on this truck worked for at least few years by the wear and tear i see. I figured out how to mount the plow to the truck which was nice and easy, i also bought a fisher joystick controller because it was missing.

So yesterday i engine hoisted the plow out of the bed and mounted the plow to the truck. Plugged in the large 2 pin power connector and the 11 pin lights connector. Plugged in the joystick to the 6 pin inside. Note i was not yet aware there was a 3 pin connector at the bumper. So first off there was no light when turning on the joystick. Checked pins 1 and 3 at 6 pin and do not have 12v. I know thats an issue right there. To make sure things were working at the plow i tried to jump the insta-act motor with jumper cables and the motor did nothing but cause the jumper cables to melt which tells me its drawing way to many amps and could be shorted. I then noticed the 3 pin plug in the bumper and saw 3 to 4 wires snipped at the insta-act hydraulic pump. Looked online and it seems thats where the 3 pin connector is supposed to go. So in conclusion my questions are.

- What does it mean if you jump the motor and the jump cables melt while motor does nothing????
    - Where do i look if im not getting 12v at the 6 pin inside truck???
    - Could the 3 pin con not being connected b/w truck and plow cause no voltage issue at the 6 pin inside truck????

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm a little lost by your terminology which is understandable.

How many plugs themselves does the truck have?

How many does the plow side have?

Was the plow originally on this truck, or were they bought separately?

3. 02allison

02allison Junior Member

I apologize for that but

- truck side has 3 plugs 2 large pin , 11 small pin , 3 small pin
    - plow had 3 plugs but now has 2 because the 3 pin was snipped off at the hydraulic pump
    - the plow setup was originally on this truck and used for years on this truck before i bought it

4. 1olddogtwo

Been a while since I worked on a 3 plug system, mostly Western but it's all the same wiring. Most newer plows are 2 plug.

The plow has to be plugged in to truck for power to be send to controller, it's a looped system.

Not sure if you're saying the entire plug is missing, or just the pin in one of the plugs.

5. 02allison

02allison Junior Member

Looks as if this setup is at least 5 years old and it is definately a 3 plug setup. Also what im saying is that the truck has 3 plugs like it should and the plow only has 2 because the plug going to the hydraulic pump was snipped off.

What it looks like the best plan of attack would be so far (correct me if im wrong) is replaced the missing plug so that i get all 3 plugs hooked up like they are supposed to be. And possibly replace the motor on the plow as it does not do anything when jumped to the truck battery.

6. 1olddogtwo

Yes, both relatively easy to do.

I would recommend replacing the motor either way due to his age unknown use. Both parts should be under 250.00 total.

Western & Fisher are identical company and parts as far electrical.

7. 02allison

02allison Junior Member

Ok so if im not mistaken when jumping the motor from truck battery it should hum/run etc ?

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You need the 3 pin plug and wiring, that's for the coils.
    I'd you jumpered the motor and nothing happened, it's probably bad.
    Do you have the wiring diagrams?

Also check the wire that's under the dash that goes to your fuse box. Make sure the fuse isn't blown, and that it's getting power.

Should also have 2-4 fuses under the hood for the plow, check those as well

9. 1olddogtwo

Yes, something should happen besides the heat/melt that you experience providing you did + to + and - to -