1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the commercial snow removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Doug8949, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Doug8949

Doug8949 Member

Hi I have a 2011 cat b3 and a 2005 f250 with boss v plow. I am looking at buying a kage snow fire system 8 foot size. My question is how big of a lot could I do with a setup like that in an hour. Also what is the going rate for snow removal per hour. Please no smart ass comments as I run a successful lawn care company during the summer just trying to figure out the winter gig.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can't answer those questions with what you stated. Theres more that you need to figure out. Lawn care and plowing are 2 totally different animals all together

3. Doug8949

Doug8949 Member

Ok what more info do you need I did snow last fall for homes and it was ok but looking to get more parking lots and stuff. First off when you give seasonal prices how many times do you base it on. Second per push times I just am wondering how much a set up like that will move per hour, because you need to know that to come up with an hourly rate. I know I can mow 2 acres per hour with my setup so I know what that turns out to my hourly rate of 75 per hour. So if I have 4 acres to do I know it should take 2 hours and cost 150. So at 2 inches of snow if I can move a 50 spot parking lot in an hour and the going hourly is 100/hour then I know a 100 spot parking lot will take 2 hours at least. I am using the number of spots as an example but I know it is measured in feet. I am just looking for help as I never used a pusher so I don't know how much snow it will move.and I am just looking for a base price kind of. Thanks

4. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Each market is different but 100 beans is reasonable per hour some places you can get more some less. Your cat machine how many ponies does it have?

5. dieselss

You can't base snow removal on yout lawn care.
    You can't take a full pusher full of snow every single time. And same thing for your trk.

6. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Dieselss do you charge more for your machine per hour in winter than summer? Winter or summer I start my Toolcat the rate is the same.

7. dieselss

Well yea always charge more in the winter

2" dry or 2" wet and heavy are completely different animals.

What's the temp now and what's it gunna be later?

Is it opening time or closing time?

8. Doug8949

Doug8949 Member

My skid steer is in the 60 range for hp. As for not basing snow removal on lawn I wasn't and I under stand that that is the one thing snow and lawns have in common you don't mow full widths either.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Is the B3 a 252B3? If so we run a 10ft sectional on all of them. More then enough power.

Figure 8 ft blade would handle one acre per hour. 100 per hour assuming 70 for cost still allows you a 30 margin.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  10. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Doug are you just getting started in the snow it is hard to give a reference for productivity on a site you have not seen, as you know each property you mow has its own quirks as you gain experience you can figure it out. Also each operator will be different as to how much they can clear in a hour, last winter I started a guy in a skid steer and quickly saw I was over paying for the level of productivity he could give. Fortunate for me he quit early in the season, next guy gets in machine and stand back this guy could move snow. This taught me start everyone lower wage, increase for the performers plus bonus.

11. dieselss

Good point chin. Good point

12. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

Best thing is to get buddy buddy with a local guy and talk to him about it. Subbing your first year will give you a good idea of productivity and will answer some of the questions you have.

13. billyd

billyd Member

We usually figure 32 times a season, but last year blew that out of the water. Light and flffy you'd be able to clear a lot quick. Wet heavy "blue" snow (I call concrete) good luck. An hour job can turn to be 3 hrs. Salt prices too ya gotta figure, such as last year salt started at $60 ton (our price) by February it was about $200/ ton.. If I had my way I'd be retired from snow and in the Bahamas, after last season.

14. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor

That's great that you are looking to add a Kage system to your fleet! You won't be disappointed. However you will definitely want to do your bidding per push vs per hour:)