1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To the Business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LawnProLandscapes, Nov 15, 2007.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

Hey everyone, just stopping in to get some opinions. I plan on starting my own landcare business in the spring which would include plowing services during the winter and wondering if i should just get a coupl small accounts this year to get some practice in.. I have a 2000 F-350 with a v10 in it, im on the fence though about purchasing my snow euipment right now... im looking into getting a 8.6' fisher v plow left over from last year and a fisher speedcaster swingaway 1000... I know i could probaly get an easy contract through my fathers company to salt there parking area and driveways... i think it would be a good idea to get my name out there sooner and get some practice before i try taking on too much, i know i probaly wont profit too much at first but i think the experience would be worth it..

ben

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Welcome to the industry.

I started the same way. plowing first. I bought the plow, worked as a sub, earned enough to pay off the plow, and buy my trailer for the lawncare season. Worked out great for me. Im sure if you pick up that plow you should have enough time to install it and find a company to sub for. Might be a little late to start hunting for some contracts but im sure you can find a few here and there. Also, because it will get brought up, get your insurance squared away before you hang the blade off your truck. If you work for a sub you definately need a commercial auto policy that covers snowplowing however if you plan to get your own contracts you definately need coverage that will cover slip and falls and property damage. good luck!

3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

yea i was hoping to get a few small residential jobs which i could probaly still scrape up a couple throughout the season even if they are not regulars... im not worried about income yet as i work a full time job (well really just 3 12 hour shifts) that can pay all my bills so whatever i make from plowing will go towards the plow and other euip... good thing is i have good hours at work and i usually get out around 2-230 am so that way i could still still get out there and get my plowing done... im hoping to be able to ween myself off of the fulltime job by next fall depending on how the spring and summer treat me...

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd only add one thing - I think you might want to hold off on that spreader until you get some accounts that call for it. Then, make sure that 1000 is the right one for the jobs and the material that you will be using. Better to spend a little more and have the right tool for the job.