1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the Business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stumpslawncare, Dec 19, 2006.

1. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

I am completely new to the snow plowing business, I have been in lawn care for a few years now and have plowed for other owners, but have never been the one setting the prices. Where do I start, how much do you guys charge?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's like asking - How much should I charge for mowing a yard? The answer - It depends. On your area, the the type of account, the difficulty of the area to be plowed, the time it would take to do and a number of other factors I'm likely not thinking about right now. Probably the best advice would be to think about what someone charged to plow drive and extrapolate that to the area you are considering. You might also just ask someone who plows in your area to help you or ask someone you trust what they're used to paying.

3. Ebbster

Ebbster Junior Member

I am relatively new to the snow and ice business but have secured contracts in the Louisville area for several hourly rates. Preseason contracts signed before Thanksgiving are $90 an hour; before Decmber 10 are $100 an hour; after December 10 with no snow on the ground is $117.50; and snow on the ground is $130. I suppose where you are dictates hourly rates. You may want to impose a minimal rate for just showing up if less than an hour is given.

Want telephone calls? Do the Yellow Pages. I get a lot of calls. Write Property Managers. Call apartment and condo people. Get with Neighborhood Associations - sometimes a low bidder drops them after he gets booked with better rates. Once at a job site you will be approached by people wanting your service. Do your sales pitches in late October and November (here anyway). Offer incentives to sign early.

You will probably apply more salt and chlorides than anything else. Be fair and efficient. 35 cents a pound for salt is the norm here. 65 cents for magnesium chloride mixes. Again, location probably dictates pricing. Call Lesco or other suppliers in your area. They know the going prices for plowing and ice management.

I'm sure I will have questions once the season here progresses. First measureble snow is coming tonight in Louisville.......... Good luck. If you live in Louisville, everything I said was a lie. (BG)

Ebbster

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

??? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

stumpslawncare, if we had more to go on for location than "customer's property", you might get better help.

I think I need snow to give me something to focus on rather than giving serious replies to ridiculous posts.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  5. Ebbster

Ebbster Junior Member

It was a joke. If he was my competitor, blah, blah........ Sorry you couldn't understand and wasted so much of your valuable time.