1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dent82, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Dent82

Dent82 Member

Hey everyone, I am looking for some input into the type of plow I should buy. I am from central Illinois so the dealers to buy from is very limited, and I have heard many different things between the western dealer and the boss dealer. My main use for the plow would be for the family mini-storage. Question 1. v-plow or straight plow with the box wings to go thru the aisles. Question 2. The truck is a 2005 2500hd duramax extended cab. One dealer said that I should have timbrens put in. Is that neccessary? Question 3. are the Smartlock cylinders for the boss v-plow worth the price. Thanks for the help!

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know about central Illinois but up here the price breakdown was the following for Boss and Western:
    Boss 7'6" Standard Duty Straight - $3295 installed
    Western 7'6" Pro plow straight - $4250 installed
    :eek: :eek: Anyway, if it was me I would just go with a straight blade w/ wings if your just plowing a little bit. Yes, the v-plow would be nice, but can you justify it. If you decide on a v-plow, get the smartlock cylinders. Worth the money. As far as the truck goes, it depends what size plow you get. If you get an 8' Straight, no, if you get a 9'2" V, yes. Crank the torsion bars up and see what it looks like; you can always add timbrens later. Hope this all helps!:waving:

3. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i just got a 8 ft boss trip edge and i love it so far

4. Dent82

Dent82 Member

hey guys, thanks for the help. Researched alot last night and have decided on the boss 8.2 poly v plow, with smart lock cylinders. Think im gonna wait on the timbrens see how much it sags. Had a friend offer me another large account, so might splurge for the best equipment. I was also looking around trying to find out how much it would cost to upgrade the light package to HID. Can not find this anywhere.

5. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

:eek: 1000.00 not worth it imo

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Dent182 Welcome to Plowsite!

If you wanted opinions on two brands of plow it's best to post this question on the Chevy discussions section. Here you would get more Boss responses.

They're both good. My advice is to go with what is local, has support, best price and looks good to you. Make sure you have the plow prep package in you truck . If you don't you will have some warranty issues with most dealers. And you should now the heavy diesel limits you to a smaller lighter blade. If you go heavy than suggested (V-Blade or 8' steel etc.) They shouldn't install it for you because of liability's to them. Also it could raise issues at the dealer.. Never bring the over-weight plow in with the truck..ever.

7. Dent82

Dent82 Member

Yaz, Thanks for the help. Do you suggest that I install timbrens? I have purchased the 8'2" poly boss v-plow. Get it installed tomorrow. You have me a little worried, that I went to big now. I have only had the idea of putting a plow on my truck for 3 days nows. Already picked up 4 commerical accounts and 5 residential. Not much but I didn't think it was to bad for being out there for three days. In reply to the $1000 difference- that was not the case around here more like $400 and I felt much more comfortable with the Boss dealer. Also, not to mention all you have to do is look at all the problems that are posted on the western forum.:) Thanks again for the help. I would be lost with out this site.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I think the $1000 comment was maybe directed at the HID lights??

Anyways, IMO, if you're buying a $4000-ish plow, the dealer should put a set of Timbrens for you for $200 or less, more like the less.

If that's too much money, just remember that at about 80k miles there's a good chance that you're going to start to rebuild the front end of the truck, which will be much more than the $200 now.

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You're welcome..

Most plow dealers in my area don't do Timbrens. Spring shops do it and sell them. What I would suggest is you look at the truck and see how it handles it. All are a little different. Unfortunately some guys even drag the plow frame over bumps so they have no choice but to add them, I don't think you will have that problem, but I don't know since I only have experience with the Fisher mounts. You could be OK, but adding them like LwnmwrMan22 suggests is only good insurance. http://www.timbren.com Click on search in top menu bar and then click on find dealer near you tab.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  10. Dent82

Dent82 Member

Hey guys- Got my new 8-2 boss poly v-plow installed yesterday. We got dumped with about 3-4 inches as soon as i pulled away from the garage, perfect timing! The accounts I had set up were were taken away by some low-baller:mad: So I practiced out at our mini storage for four hours. Really happy with it. I am a little concerned, however. The installer told me he cranked my torsion bars 10 times!?!?!? Seems way to much for me, any suggestions.

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Did you tell him to? I would have killed him. That's more than most do, 3-6 what I have read. I would be pissed, not that it was terrible, just he touched it and had no business to without asking.

12. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

If he cranked them up 10 times drive it strait back and tell him to back it all the way off to stock. Then get some timbrens, and you'll be fine. My boss has a 8'2" boss poly v plow on his crew cab short box dmax and his does sit lower in the front but nothing to be concerned with and his torsion bars were never touched.

13. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i would say go with a blizzard or a boss...if u go with the blizzard "get wide" if u go with the boss jst go with a nice 7'6'' my cuz has one on his and its perfect size for that truck...some might tell u to go with an 8footer but they can be a pain sometimes...