1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the business, Washington State

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GrantELC, Sep 8, 2011.

1. GrantELC

GrantELC Junior Member

I currently run my own lawn care business with another guy. We do pretty good during the mowing season (two years into it) I now am completely open to any kind of winter work. We have had quite a few lawn clients ask if we are doing slow blowing and I haven't been able to give them a for sure answer. We started thinking of getting into it but I am still little held back because it is snow, is it going to be unreliable work? I live in Washington State on the eastern side and we get some pretty crazy winters, some are not so good though.

I am seeking some advice on how to even go about beginning this since our options are running slim for the winter. I want to keep to residential as I am not that experienced in plowing. I have a pick up and access to a plow but have never done it before. To be safe I would like to start with residential, for my lawn clients and hopefully gain new clients as well for my mowing season.

Is residential plowing the thing to get into?

How much do I charge for just a driveway?

I am worried that the snow is to sporadic and I will end up killing myself money wise. Is this where contracts and de-icing could come into play to keep me safe if there is nothing to plow?

Just a few of many questions for now, anything helps.

2. Precision21

Precision21 Junior Member

3. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

If you are just starting out with plowing then I wouldnt take on a lot of work at first...that way you can get used to everything and figure out how it all works. Everyone experiences the sporadic snows...hopefully your first couple of winters are decent snow falls. You will be investing money into it but if you do things right, you will make that money back. You dont need all of the bells and whistles right away and dont overload yourself on trucks and equipment because your payments will add up to more than your income.

hope it all works out for ya....if you do it right you will make sweet cash. Lots of guys on here to help you with pricing...Ill keep my mouth shut on that one because I dont know enough about it and I dont want to blow smoke up ya.
  4. GrantELC

GrantELC Junior Member

Thanks for the reply,

I have a few in mind to get me started, two farm roads to start off on plowing. We will see how those go.
  5. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Another idea is if you know someone in your area that plows....grab lunch or a beer with him and get some tips and ideas from him.