1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the business and hoping to have a few questions answered

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Rooneypd, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Rooneypd

Rooneypd Junior Member

I'm a Partner in a property management company in Breckenridge CO. We bought a plow truck, 01' 2500 cummins diesel with a 7.5 Western Plow to take care of our properties and cut down on cost. To fill up our spare time I decided to start a plow service division of our company. We have lots of steep terrain, tight driveways and excessive amounts of snow.

First Question, What kind of tires, studded? chains? there are some steep icy driveways.

Second Question, What about billing. I have one large commercial lot that is about 400' by 300' with a 200 yard access road, do I bill by the hour? Month? Snowfall? Also with smaller residential properties, how do you guys do it.

I have 5 contracts so far, got them through craigs list, flyer's and word of mouth, any advice on marketing? Also how many contracts should I take on, I have the one commercial thats pretty large, then a small business parking lot, 15 spaces, and three residential driveways.

Well thanks for your help guys, I know there are no explicit answers here, but some general guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care and hope for snow
  2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

How many accounts do you think you can handle? I'm guessing you are only using the one truck based on your post. That 400x300 lot is pretty large by itself. Not sure about your other accounts or your own properties.

To answer your questions. I run good AT Tires never had a need or use for chains or studs. I also do not have a lot of elevation change. As far as billing everyone of my customers is prepaid at the beginning of the season no exceptions.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure your insurance covers snow removal and you have a dependable driver.
  4. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

You should probably be able to plow that large lot in 1.5 -2.5 hours. I charge by the push on some, usually smaller. I also charge per hour @ $125.00 per with a one hour minimum and include travel time. I use an 8.5 Fisher EXV with wings which is a lot different than your 7.5. I also have one seasonal client. I do not do any residential (until we get like 6" + of snow).

No chains, but I'm not an the mountain side!

Hope this helps----now if I can only get you guys in the mountains to stop stealing of our snow!!LOL

BK Hammer Construction
  5. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

better get a set of wings for that 7.5!
  6. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I figure about 8 hours per truck... On a large snowfall that 8 will turn into 12 + in a hurry...
  7. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

So how much snow did you get up there. The news said 14 inches in Breckenridge. Hope you had fun with it. How much time did your route take? I hope you stayed safe and did not have anything break. I know I am aways from you, but if you get in a pinch and need help let me know.