1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the Businees - introducing myself

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ColliganLands, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

Hello Everyone
    I want to take the time to introduce myself to all of you and let you know my plans for starting out this winter and expanding over the coming years.
    My name is Kyle I am 18 years old. Over the past 2 years i have been slowly starting landscaping business by just doing the odd mowing/weeding/mulching job. Then this summer after graduating high school i decided to go at it full time. it has been slow starting out for real but i did a few bigger jobs and a few small jobs. I have a website and business card as well as advertising. Also i have decided to begin plowing for myself this winter. I plowed before with other companies using their trucks and equipment but now i want to d it on my own. I purchased a 2005 ford f350 super duty 6.0l power stroke diesel a few weeks back(t has 50,000 miles on it) and have added a fisher minute mount 2 straight blade 8ft HD. I am hoping to get 15-30 residential accounts for winter at 35-65 a push with a 3inch trigger. that pretty much covers where I'm coming from .
    Just thought it might be good to let everyone here know who i am and what my plans are.
    Also i would like to thank all of you guys for this site it has been really informational thus far
    thanks again
    Kyle

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome aboard Kyle. It's good to see guys use this forum to formally introduce themselves with a brief description. Helps us all get familiar with each other and shows professionalism.

After spending some time here you'll quickly learn the nature's of many of the active members....many good guys here. :salute:

3. ColliganLands

B&B thank you, i have already learned so much from this site and am hoping to learn alot more

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

How much did you pay for the truck? seems like a nice score. And welcome to the wonderful world of plowsite

5. ColliganLands

i paid 28,000 including the plow, sales tax, and all the other fun stuff.. it is a fully loaded lariat model(leather seats/heated/power/lumber) and all the other goodies
    thank you for the welcome

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Thats what i was thinking about 25 for the truck. Hows that 6.0 stroke? My dad had a 2000 lariat crew cab 4wheel drive 350 single rear wheel long bed it was a boat. After 3 years of 10mpg and 2 full sets of brakes all the way around he traded it for a 150.

7. ColliganLands

i get about 12-13 mpg right now as far as anything it seems to run great, no vibrations,noises or anything like that. the brakes dont seem all that bad yet either. ive only had the truck about a month now but it can handle anything ive thrown at on the landscaping end so well see how it it once the snow starts flying
    also on the mpg situation im used to driving a ram 1500 all performance modded at 10mpg so that doesnt bother me too much yet either

8. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

welcome to plowsite kyle :waving:

9. ColliganLands

thank you :waving:

10. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

dont know much about fisher... but if you have any questions i would be glad to help

11. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Welcome to the site i am sure that you have done your homework and some research or at least it appears that way, but if I can make 1 suggestion get some insurance now and save your rear end in the long run oh and i'll have a :drinkup: for you and :drinkup: for me (since your not old enough yet) welcome aboard

12. ColliganLands

haha thanks for the welcome and the beer, i am in the process of getting the insurance right now actually so as soon as that is all set and my contracts are made and checked (hopefully by monday) i will start to acquire my acounts. Thanks again to everyone for the words of welcome

13. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Hey man, I'm the same boat as you. I'm 18, I just bought my truck and it's my first year plowing. Let me know if you need anything.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Welcome, and if your ever up in Quebec, drop me a line. We'll go for a :drinkup: since 18 is legal here.

15. ColliganLands

thanks you guys for the welcome
    chcav1218 i was just wondering since your local do my prices seem in line with yours?
    again thanks everyone for the welcomes and im sure ill be tkaing you up on your offers for help really soon

16. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Welcome from fly over country, The Great State of Indiana, whatever, Ive been watching to much election stuff, but welcome.

I was like you as well when I started with Plowsite, except I was twice your age, different truck and plow and didn't do landscaping.......other than that, we are brothers:jester:

17. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yeh, (oh yah you can call me Chris by the way). Your price seem pretty good. Are you sayin your gonna charge that per literal push or per driveway? I'm starting mine at around 30 but anything really big or that will require a bit of back dragging or special stuff will be higher.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  18. ColliganLands

Chris- i was gonna charge the 35ish per push (each time i plow the drive) and then go up from there depending on the conditions(amount of snow) length etc.. just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to the "low baller" for the area or anything like that.
    Indyplower - thanks for the welcome

19. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

What I was thinkin about doin is charging $35 or so per plowing, then like $10 or $15 if I have to come back and clean up the entrances to the drives after the street plows come by. Idk how many accounts I'm going to have this year, I think about 8 so far, and I may be subbing for someone.

20. ColliganLands

yea i was thinking the 35 per time but ill have to ask some other people to make sure its all right i just want to come in too low just to have business and not make enough money also the price will vary depending on how many inches of snow there are etc. also with the 3 inch trigger i would plow the drive at 3inches and then come back every threee inches untill the storm stopped in order to keep it clear
    thanks again
    kyle