1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to the board and question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by race/plowman46, Apr 1, 2003.

1. race/plowman46

race/plowman46 Junior Member

I am starting a powerwash/snowplowing business next year.Will be plowing small residential drives,maybe 1small commercial lot.I work from 5:30am-1:30pm so the hours would work out great.Would a chevy 1500 with a 7.5 pro plow be ok to use?I like gm trucks plus my inlaws are retired from gm so a I get a discount.Most of the drives will be double wide and 50-60 ft.long.This is a really cool board,glad I found it.
    Thank you for the help. :)
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome aboard:waving: ,As long as people dont mind you not showing up to plow untill your done working(not sure how thats gonna work out?)A 1/2 ton and 7.5 plow will work just fine,alot of guys here run half tons myself included with no problems.Good luck:drinkup:
  3. race/plowman46

Thank you for the info

My wife asked me that same question so I went and talked to some people I know who plow snow.They told me they start plowing drives around 4am or so.So if I didn't get to many I could still get to work on time.
    Most of the drives I will do are about 10 min.from work.A friend of mine said he could set me up with drives close to work.
    Sorry guess I should have put that info in my post to begain with.The truck will be a shortbox,mite make it easyer yet.
  4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I believe Mike 97 SS(some of our local talent here:D )also plows with a half ton short box and i do not recall him having any problems either.I plow some hellish gravel driveways which are pretty steep with my 99'Chevy Z-71 ext. cab short box,the truck has never not done anything i've asked it to,and some of it was probably just to much to ask but the truck has yet to break down on me.You will be fine as far your truck and plow setup go.There is tons of info here if you use the search option.I even use it alot myself.
  5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thanks for the compliment Arc, but you know Im only half the talent, you make up the other half. ;) Yea, my Chevy does great plowing, no problems and no complaints at all. I love the truck. Like Arc Burn, it never didnt do something I asked of it and it never let me down. Feed it good gas, take good care of it, and it will take care of you back. I say go for it! Welcome to PlowSite, you will like it here, plenty of great information, much to be learned, great group of guys, and also has alot of good humor, thanks partly/mostly to me. :D What kind of plow are you considering? Mike :waving:
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm surprised nobody has said anything to this effect, so I will. I can't give you a time that I start my driveways, it is different with each snow. It all depends on what time the snow starts and stops. They are open for the homeowner to leave in the morning and open by 5 pm or so when they return. As long as it is accessible they should not have a problem with your time frame.

I use a chevy 1500 with a 7.5' Wester Pro and love it, yea i've got some extra gismos and gadgets on it, but so do many other guys (JohnD and Wyldman come to mind...) But I take great care of it and like Mike and Arc said, it has never non done what I asked of it.

Good luck! and remember, we thrive on pictures!! :drinkup:

7. race/plowman46

Thanks for all the info guys.And to Mike I will be using a western pro plow.Would like to have a v plow but I know you can't hang one of those on a half ton.Trying to convince the wife we need a 3/4 ton so I can get a v,wow what a price difference.The local chevy dealer has a 3/4 ton with a 7.5 western straight pro plow for $31,500.They all so have a 3/4 ton with a v plow but no sticker on the window. :( But I am goning to talk to them tomorrow about it.
  8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I am sure that half ton full size trucks can handle 7.5' plows with no problem. I have seen alot of them around here. Most of the people I know have Chevy 1500 with 7.5' plows on them. Pretty common setup around here. They seems to be doing very well with it.

2500 would be even better, it has more capacity, more heavy duty. It can carry bigger plow like V plow as you mentioned. As for the pricing, I dont think there is much difference between 1500 and 2500, but I am not sure. You can look up this Chevy website and play around building trucks online and do some comparison.

I just looked up the Chevy website page for Silverado - comparing between 1500 4x4 Z71 and 2500 4x4, the price difference is a little over $3K. But you should look into 2500HD too. Usually after building and adding options, the 2500HD ended up costing around $300 more than the 2500. Without a doubt, go with the 2500HD if you can. It is more heavy duty than the 2500. It have GVWR of 9200 instead of 8600 for the 2500. 6.0L Vortec gas have plenty of power.

But if your budget is limited and you could only afford Chevy 1500, then don't be afraid to go for it. It will still do a great job for you. Good luck with your purchase, whatever you buy as long as it is GM truck! :D :waving:
  9. race/plowman46

I think you mite have misunderstood me or I miss read your post.More than likely it's me. :) When I said it couldn't handal the plow I was talking about a 8foot V plow on a half ton.I did go and look at that 3/4 ton with a V plow on it.Just a little more than I want to spend,the price $35000.
    They have a 3/4 ton with a 7.5 western straight blade for $32000 so just going to have to think about this.I am not a cheap skate but this is alot of money for a part time thing.Then I still have to buy my powerwash equipment.
  10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Would you consider buying a used truck? That way you can definitely afford the 3/4 or 1 ton, if you want the heavier duty truck to be able to go with a V plow. A 1/2 ton will definitely push the snow, as long as you get 4WD obviously, so a 1/2 ton being strong enough is not a concern as far as Im concerned. If I were you, Id look into some real good used trucks, maybe a couple years old and you definitely save some big bucks over a brand new truck. Also this is gonna be your first plow truck? You may hit a few things here and there learning how to judge the truck and plow, so wouldnt you rather scratch or ding up an older less expensive truck, rather than a brand spanking new truck? Just something to think about before you jump in with both feet. Whatever you decide, good luck! Mike :)
  11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

ALWAYS PLOW WITH THE STORM there is no schedules in plowing snow you cant tell your customers i will plow at 4am. In order to be a success in plowing and not burn yourself out you must break a storm up into a series of mini storms plowing the snow in manageable intervals. For Instance the blizzard we had up here in February was like about 6 or 7 mini storms for me. I always go out and keep driveways clear and keep piles back because you never know whats going to happen, a storm could blossom on you or you could get another monster storm a day or two later.

SO in summary fellow plowsite member i tell You dont promise a customer the times in which you will plow their drives and make sure u keep your piles back :)

Good Luck

12. PPM

PPM Junior Member

94 1 ton

My 2 cents. I bought a 3500 chev w/5.7 v8 HD truck I'm in the car biz part time and saw this truck a a dealers auction, it looked like a rat. had 343,000 kilometers, yellow, plow was already taken off, seat riped, bald tires, and so on. keep in mind this was two years ago, anyway I put a good plow on it, good tires, tune up and so on, turns out this truck was one of the best Ive ever had and is always the truck that helps out when someone breaks down (usually the newer trucks!!) all I'm saying is that there are alot of good used trucks out there. BTW my truck was an ex city (municipal) plow truck, serviced to the nines. Since buying this one Ive painted it and use it for summer scaping too!!