1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to spreading - what to use?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gasjr4wd, Dec 9, 2013.

1. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I just got a tailgate/receiver spreader... Snoway 6 yard. No vibrator yet. Never done salt. What is the difference in all them? According to SW, it does "Bagged Ice Melters", "Calcium Chloride", and "Sodium Chloride". Rock salt, I understand but all you guys are telling me there are many, many types of rocksalt. I don't see anyone on this thread talking about Calcium Chloride - flake.
    Stupid question - what works the best overall? Then, what are the circumstances when you change and use something else other than standard rocksalt?
    Are there guidelines on what to use when or is it find something that works and stick with it?
    According to SW, it is not rated for sand. Anyone know why? Anyone mix part sand and salt?
    I'm going to use bag. I don't really have storage but maybe can do a pallet or so.
    Oh, and is there a basic way to charge? (yea, I know not an easy answer but just point me in the direction)
    And last, how do you get the salt out when you are done?
    Sucker is not light!
    And yes, I have been looking for the answers in the threads but just don't see it.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

C.c is different from rock salt. I'm pretty sure your not gunna run straight c.c. through it
    Run the Salter till there's nothing left then your out of salt

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

We just use bag rock salt Nothing more in our tailgate spreaders. We charge by the bag to the customer, generally just double the cost plus a bit is how we charge it out. After a while you can look at a lot and say that is a 4 bag lot or a 10 bag lot or whatever. I am sure there is way better way's to calculate it but it works for us. I wouldn't want to try and take a spreader off the truck when it is full, at least without a fork lift or something.

4. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Interesting... according to SW-
    http://snoway.com/spreaders.cfm?id=20
    they make it seem like you use one or the other. You are saying don't use CC alone? What to mix it with? Is it one only works down to a X temp or what? I keep seeing something like Magic Salt. Anyone mix Magic Salt with rock salt? Do you mix CC with rock salt. Again, the SW site makes it look like you run plain CC OR rock salt OR "ice melt". In the past I have done (by shovel) sand in some hot spots... it seemed to work decent with all the car traffic. My thought was run a mix 3/4 salt and 1/4 sand. Bad idea?

5. dieselss

Look up peedlow, magic salt, etc. All that info is on there website

6. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

I have an older sw tailgate with no Vibrator we use sometimes, only works with bag rock salt.
    bulk, or sand/salt will only cause you problems

7. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I'm on the magic salt site now I think, but I can't find anything on peedlow.
    Are they a manufacture or dealer or is it a brand or something?
    Got a link?

I did find-
    http://snoway.com/spreaders.cfm?id=23
    so I guess that answers part of my question.

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Different products for different budgets and temperatures. Typically here, most only use rock salt either bagged or in bulk on parking lot areas. Other states rely heavy on sand. Other products like CC, MC, urea, etc. often times will be used on stairs & sidewalk areas. Those types of products would generally be cost prohibitive to use on large areas, such as parking lots. When we get into temps from low 20's to single digits, I will switch to a treated salt product to accelerate the salt. Gives it a boost, so to speak. This product won't work in a gate spreader w/o a vibrator.

There are name brand products (like Roadrunner), that are bagged and can be used in that type of spreader. The problem w/ some products depending on when they were bagged and how they were stored, may effect how they will flow. If they become oily or wet (from being stored outside for too long or heat), you can be challenged to get the material to flow properly. This product is typically a blend of 3-4 different melting materials, but is more costly than sand or rock salt...lb. for lb. The upside is that in some cases, you may be able to use less material, pending temps, ice pack, traffic, etc.

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

10. dieselss

Yes thanks. Sleep deprived. And there a sponcer

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

*Sponsor lol

12. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Not flowing out.
    OK, I got a pallet of Sodium Chloride, or salt. I may have shot my self in the foot... it was stored outside - but does pretty much breakup when i add it to the bin. Then again, it didn't really work perfect when I first got it. I'm only adding one bag at a time because I learned really quick what it is like to shovel it out if it freezes. Tried the washer fluid thing... not sure how much to add per bag... I also sprayed down the inside with lub. It seems loose and free flowing when i move it around with a shovel.
    What am I doing wrong? Is this why many guys don't use salt and use a more "free flowing" ice melt? Having to get out and kick the crap out of the bin and/or dig down with a little shovel is not what I want to do. When I do, I rally don't find any big chunks.
    I don't think there is one bag that I haven't had to get out and knock the spreader around. It will work for about 15 seconds then stops flowing.
    Is it the brand spreader?
    Is it the material?
    Am I just stupid?
    Help.

13. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

If there is no grate atop the spreader it may help to add one. You can use 1/4" expanded steel & pour material through it.

Your going to want to keep the material dry. BTW I dunno if adding washer fluid, etc. is going to help. If you have to kick the spreader I think you might benefit from a vibrator, Angelo's has them pretty reasonable.

You cannot spread sand through anything w/o some kind of conveyer/drag chain/augur to move the material to the spinner. You'll eventually figure out what settings to use & what materials spread best in your unit.

You spreader is 6 cubic feet I think, not 6 yards. My 8' V-box is 2 yards.

14. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I haven't even really thought about adding sand yet. I just wanta get salt out.
    In the heat of the battle I even thought about mounting a cordless drill with a paddle bit inside the thing just to stir the salt up. Just trying to think of something to get past the next day or so.
    Snoway's idea of a spreader has me wondering if i didn't screw up.
    No real auger, just a few small bolts in the motor shaft.
    A few times I got it working for 30 seconds just by slamming on the brakes.
    It can't be this hard to spread some sort of ice melt... I do have the speed controler but I'm not even at that point yet of figuring out the speed/vs spread.

And yes, should read 6 Cu.-Ft. Receiver Spreader. Sorry...

15. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I had a little Meyer spreader that I pulled my hair out with. Key was having a grate on top & one actually in the hopper above where the bottom of the spreader narrowed up to the spinner. The expanded steel grate in the hopper acted like an inverted "V" in a V-box hopper spreader. Another key is don't drive around with material in the hopper, it just packs it in there so it cannot flow out. The vibrator will help:

16. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I've dug everything out several times and watch when i dump it in and there isn't anything larger than a silver dollar and it's really soft and easy to break up.
    I have issues right after just pouring it in. If I do leave it in, it may be for 30 minutes...
    I think in the morning I'm going to wash it out, maybe put a coat of wax or fluid film in it or something.
    I think I am going to give some sort of vibrator a shot. May not be a SW brand. What I see they are a lot more $ than any other. Not sure why it would need one if it's an option.
    Oh, this was a brand new sprader. It's not like the inside is all scuffed up and rough. It's nice and smooth.

17. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

UPDATE:
    This is how it's supposed to work!
    In the past the temp has been mid single digits when I was using the spreader. Now that it's warmer, 25F everything flows great! Perfect. Easy. :nod:
    I'm using the same exact bag salt as before. It does seem to be dryer... not oily now. Could the product change from bag to bag or does the temp play into how oily the salt it? It was a sealed pallet.
    Product or temp? Please someone tell me.