1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To Snowplowing. Need Help?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JCSNOWING, Feb 3, 2007.

JCSNOWING Junior Member

My Husband And I Want To Start Our Own Snowplowing Services In Colorado , My Husband Use To Work For A Man Who Had His Own Snow Plow Business. He Has Been Plowing For 3 Years Prior But Now We Want To Start Our Own Small Business With 3-4 Employees To Work For Us. We Already Own 3 Snow Plow Trucks He Will Do The Snowplowing, Remove Ice And Shoveling.i Will Do All The Office Work, I Don't Know Where To Start Regarding Insurance For Business, Taxes, Employee's,or How To Start Advertising It To Get Contract For Residental Or Commercial Building . My Services Will Only Be Seasonal Work Only When It Snows And How Do I Price My Services.
  2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

1 st meet with a lawyer about contracts, make sure your protected, and have him fill out inc. forms or do it yourself you can talk to a lawyer about differences between - inc. s-corp. LLC. sole propreitor, and partnerships...

2nd incorporate - get your business liscence - especially in these litigious times you need to protect yourself from lawsuits sole propreitorships are at high risk of loosing everything if they get sued.

3rd find good accountant, set up a couple of meeting they can show you everything you need to get started as far as keeping you on the good gaces of the goverment and running your billing, accounts receivables and payroll

4th find your employees, have them fill out all required paperwork make sure you keep copies of EVERYTHING YOU DO regardless of whether they are family or friends.

5th start calling all the insurance companies you can find a lot will not talk to you since you are a new business and especially since you are in snow removal.
    get a 1-2 million general liability - this will cover you from slip and falls and negligence claims
    for the the trucks - the higher the amount that you are covered the better just think of worst case scenario and how much it could cost you. I.E plowing a gas station? hit something cause a spark place blows up kills three. lots of money make sure your covered.
    workmans comp - lots of commercial will not touch you if you don't have workmans comp, also bad idea to ave employees without it.

i would plan on starting next year, start this summer talking with customers and get your name out however you can. hope this helps
    sorry i cannot cover everything without writing a book, ask more specific questions and you can usually get better answers there is a lot into owning you own business. and it usually takes years to get everything wright..but don't give up. and DON'T EVER sell yourself short, learn when to walk away from bad customers, and stick to your pricing don't low ball.

lastly call aroun to other snow removal companies in your are pretend to be a homeowner and find out there pricing so you can see where your market is. and join SIMA - SIMA publishes a bi monthly magazine that has great pointers, tips and the latest industry news to keep you informed, also great networking availability so you can talk to others in your area and they can help you run your business as professionals.
  3. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Save some $$

I agree that you need to get licensed and insured. There is one thing I disagree with:

You don't need an attorney. Your CPA will do your corporate filings (so will www.bizfilings.com) or you can even do it yourself...Total cost in MI is about $150. The forms are very simple....the trick is finding which forms you need in your state. You can usually get them right off your state's website. My CPA did mine, and after seeing a copy of the forms he filled out (3 pages total) I wished I had researched it myself and saved some money. But, your CPA knows a lot more about taxes and which type of business makes most sense for you.

People have this "godlike" image of attorneys, and they charge accordingly. Most of the things you consult an attorney for could be done by a financial advisor or a CPA for much less money.

As far as writing a contract: A contract is simply a written agreement that says that 2 parties will cooperate. Example: You will provide a service, and customer will make payments. Then it outlines exactly what is to be done by whom, and when. Is there an attorney who knows your business better than you do? You'll do a much better job at describing the "who, what why when, and hows" of your business. No attorney needs to write it in order for it to be legal. As long as the contract doesn't require either parties to do something illeagal, it will be valid with signatures. If you're still uneasy writing your own contract, do the best you can, and have an attorney review it for suggestions. It'll cost you an arm and a leg if you start from scratch and have his guidance through the whole process.....An attorney may do a good job at describing proper payment procedures, but you'll do a better job at describing how and when services are provided. Most lawsuits are brought about by "breach of contract" which is why you need to be the one to describe the work to be done. Finally, what I would do is get a sample contract from other snow plowers. There is a book by Allen called "Snow and ice managemet" that has sample contracts. I bought the book, and took his contract, and made changes to have it match my needs.

Hope this helps.
  4. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

one of the opther best things you can do is to search any questions you have on this site. many of them have been anwsered over and over ... good luckk
  5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

plowman350, one thing the CPA cant do, however, is write the Contractor - Client contract and help someone learn about laws and liabilities in each state.

I think an attorney is well worth the expense.
  6. There is a book by Allen called "Snow and ice managemet"

Where can I get this book ? Someone email me please. Plowing salting here and not on this site everyday, but do check my mail everyday. crayls@orvcomm.com

Someone mentioned joining SIMA ? A link please ??