1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to snoway some problems

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by lorentzlawnsnow, Jan 2, 2006.

1. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i just bought a truck with a 7' 6'' 22 on it. the hydraulics seem very slow. comparable to a meyer e47 unit. drop and angle are all slow. drops so slow doesn't even make a sound when it hits concrete or pavement. anything i can do to get the lightning fast hydraulics everyone is talking about? also the dp doesn't work right. the light comes on but nothing changes. if you turn on the dp and try to lower it, nothing happens it won't even lower. any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. addicted

addicted Senior Member

I would start by checking the fluid level and the electrical connections. I just got mine and it is stupid fast!
    Does the motor sound like it's struggling?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How old and what is the serial number on the plow. All Snoways have a serial number plate. It's a lot easier to figure this stuff out with all the info. If the unit is more then one year old it's probably not a 22 series.

But guessing.
    What kind of fluid is in the plow? It needs to be low temp hydraulic preferably snoway to assure o ring compatibility and viscosity.

Has someone added a adjustable flow valve in the system? If so, rip it out. If properly spec'd and installed they work, but if not....:dizzy:

Are you sure this a 22 series? How high is the blade? if it has a toggle switch on the side of the pump cover it's a 18/24/25 and that toggle might be in the wrong position, it should be locked in the down position. it only locks in the center and one side position. If the switch is in wrong just lock it to whatever side position that it will stay in. If there is no toggle remove the cover and see if wires have come off the dp solenoid it's on the separate valve body between the power unit and the truck.

How freely does the motor spin, you could have a leaky pressure relief valve.

4. lorentzlawnsnow

it must not be a 22 then because it is a few years old. i'll get the serial number next time i'm at the shop, but it seems to me the switch was in the off position instead of the down position. this may be my problem. fluid level was fine. i measured from ground to top of moldboard and got 22". also could i save my pump assy, light bar and wiring/truck mount and get the a frame and moldboard assy. for a larger plow say 29 or 32 and use the same pump etc...

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

My guess would be it's a 24 with a worn wearedge, if it is then that's as large a blade as it was designed to push.

That wouldn't address the speed issue though. Check it out I pop in all the time let me know whats up. I love to add problem/solution scenarios to my information base

6. lorentzlawnsnow

so they use a different pump setup for each size blade, and the pump can't be transferred. is this correct? i understand the rams would all have to be replaced for larger, just can't imagine a manufacturer using so many different pumps.

7. lorentzlawnsnow

talking on here had me itching so i went to the shop, hooked it up, put the toggle in the down position. the toggle won't raise or lower it by the way... hydraulics don't seem to be any faster. serial numbers are as follows
    a-frame 25d10759
    moldboard rib 90c107869
    pump cover 17821
    the downpressure doesn't seem to be working either. when the switch is on, it raises the plow instead of creating the downpressure.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OK so that tells us it's a 25 series plow, which means the wearedge is really worn.

The d means it has down pressure

If you can find a larger blade in the 25 series they were available up to 9 foot. You can not use a 29 or 32

I would say the DP problem is a stuck or failed DP coil or valve or a wiring problem. check to see if you have power to the DP coil. It's the one one the valve body between the power unit and the truck, if it has 12v does it have magnetism, if it has mag. does the valve move? replace or repair whatever doesn't work

What kind of fluid is in it, does the motor spin freely?

9. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

10. lorentzlawnsnow

update...

the dp valve was shot. no fixing it so i got a new one... $170 part later.. man i miss the meyer prices from the good old days. dp works now, as does the switch on the pump cover. now if i could just get these hydros sped up i'll be in business. maybe i'm just spoiled from using boss for so long. anyone ever used both boss and snoway to give me an idea as to how the speed compares?

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I had a jeep with a Sno-way, It was used it for small residential.
    The Boss is faster than any other plow out there.
    The sno-way would seem slow in comparison.

But as not knowing just how slow your plow is it would be a good idea to check the flow control valve and relief valve too.

Have you cleaned the filter lately?

12. lorentzlawnsnow

well in that case, the dp isn't THAT cool... will probably keep it for the rest of this season, and peddle it next year and put a boss on the truck. if anyone's looking for a snoway i would let it go now if they came and found me, i'll advertise next year.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Slow is not normally a word associated with SnoWay plows. Did someone fill this unit with the wrong fluid? How old is it, what are the pump pressures? There's a good possibility the Pick-up filter in the tank is clogged and not allowing the fluid to flow freely. I've seen this caused by fluids gelling, ice, not to mention the ever present crap. I'm betting if you remove the tank and clean, or better yet, replace the filter the puppy will fly. If it was mine I would also drain ALL the fluid then cycle some Meyer Hydra Flush ( in my opinion the best product Meyer makes) though it, drain and refill with snoway fluid or a high quality Aircraft Hydraulic fluid.

14. lorentzlawnsnow

changed fluid and cleaned filter screen today. plow is a little faster. nevertheless, i think i would rather have to keep spare parts on the shelves for only 1 kind of plow so i'll probably still be getting rid of the snoway and finding a boss. thanks for all your help:salute: