1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by colin-roberts, Jan 3, 2015.

1. colin-roberts

colin-roberts Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hello, looking into getting into snow management / ice management. Currently have a tree care business, don't really want to plow with my newer truck, looking into liquid ice management building a salt brine distributor.

2. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

Why not plow with new truck? Its there to make you money, its just a truck. I say put a new plow on it and go sub for a larger contractor. Learn the business and grow from there.

3. colin-roberts

from Ontario

The new truck is a f150 and not really into wrecking it by plowing snow & our bucket truck is too big to plow here. i've looked at a f250 for cheap to plow with, not many sub contractors here tho. mostly just people needing operators.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So go work for them for a year or for as long as you want, you can use there equipment and not wreck yours

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

good advice for the learning curve....make money and take no risk

6. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

I agree, plowing with a half ton will put a beating on it. This late in the season I would try to pick up some driveways.

7. colin-roberts

from Ontario

I've plowed before for others, using a tractor & a backhoe for others. In ontario canada, the season has really yet to start.

8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a truck with a plow and hit some drives and check craigslist for other work

9. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Welcome hoser.