1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TD Lawn Care, Dec 16, 2009.

1. TD Lawn Care

TD Lawn Care Junior Member

I have a 1990 chevy 2500 with Western 7' 6" plow. I have been laid off of work for a long time, I have to two small children so I need to make enough money provided for them. I live in Racine,WI and have tried to find a job for a long time and no such luck. So I wanted to put my truck and plow to good use. I am having problems getting customers for the right prices. How much should I charge to be able to live off and still get customers.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Here we go again. First things first look for the search bar, and type in what your looking for. There is days worth of reading on almost any subject.

Second, Only you know what your costs are. Although you probably don't know how much you can do in an hour, you have to know what your costs are. This late in the season, you should probably look for a larger contractor that you can sub for the winter, and get some experience, then start looking in August next year for your own contracts.
  3. TD Lawn Care

Thank you. I need all the help I can get.

thank you.

I am was working for a company trying to become a heating and cooling guy. I was working towards an apprenticeship and was fired. While I was working there I bought a house and got married and had two kids. I have been trying to find a job for the past two years for what was equal to at least my unemployment. I have not been successful. So last year I bought a truck with a plow 1991 chevy 2500HD with Western 7 1/2 plow. I plowed a few drivways last year and I snowblowed a few and paid for my snow blower which is just a single stage toro. Then I didn't't do much over the summer because I didn't have the money or equipment to cut lawns beside my own 22'' K mart special. I need to be able to make enough to pay my bills which aren't that much I have a mortgage,food,two small kids,and other expense. I need help. I live in Racine, WI if that helps at all. I have read many post for hours and hours and hours. So much great information. I was out hanging door hangers that I printed on 4x6 index cards and punch holes in them and put rubber bands through to hang on doors. I put out about 200 in the last few days. I have only on person come out when I was doing it and some old lady goes home much you charging and I gave her a price of $35 for residential drive. She goes wow I am getting mine for $25.

Can you price a job on how far it is from you or how long it going to take you.

I am starting to think I have to target particular areas because. Otherwise my price is going to be so much hire than some else. Where I liver there is some areas that have side walks and some that don't. I have started targeting only the ones with out. The one with you try to charge 35-40 and most is snow blowing. I will never make enough money with just me. Sorry this is so long. I am just in desperate need of some assistant. Thank you for reading.
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

pricing is difficult. you can price whatever you want, but that mean doesn't you're covered cost wise or that you'll win the bid. if you want a price range, i would start to pool local neighbors and see what they are currently paying.
  5. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

do your homework though on plowing. be prepared for breakdowns too because unfortunately they are inevitable
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a job as a sub.
    a $25 drive there may be a $50 job someplace else.....pick up the phone and make some calls to other contractors about a job and what they charge(not in the same call)
    Better check on insurance as that will set you back some cash too.
  7. TD Lawn Care

thank you guys so much. I need a business consultant. It hard to be your own business consultant. How do company's sub another guy with out that guys just taking the business away. I am just curious. That is why I have not contacted any one else. I fear they are think I will take there business. The way I feel is there is enough lazy,overweight, overpaid people that need lawn care and snow removal services that there is enough business for everyone that is trying to run one should be successful and not keep trying to knock someone else customers just so they can make money.
  8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

companies sub other contractors by winning the bid on many accounts. then they can put a subcontractor on some while thier trucks do others thus actually overextending themselves and having subs pick up the slack essentially. then they get paid by the account and then they pay the sub less money then they were paid thus making them and you money.

so to break it down.

if the contractors bussiness can handle say 50 accounts.

they will bid 75 or more hoping to win 50 so they can make money

say they win 65 they cannot handle the extra 15 so they hire subs verses getting rid of them so they can still make money.

just remember if your subbing for a company be reliable. 99% of companies wont hesitate to drop you if you screw them over by not taking care of the accounts they have given you.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  9. TD Lawn Care

can you make money subbing? What is a good amount to make to actually pay bills with. I don't expect to be rich I just want to pay my bills.
  10. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

I personally hate residentials, They are the first to complain about things. example, tore up lawn, lawn ornaments that were buried in the snow that you didn't see and hit, not having them the first one on your route or getting there to early. I am a little north of you but I get about $40 per push including sidewalks. I seldom take less unless there elderly or there husband is in military. The other thing I hate about residentials is you get a storm so you go do your route and find that some of them decided to clean it out themselves and never call you to let you know so you go there for nothing. Starting this year I have a $20 fee if I get there and it's cleaned out without a call. Good luck.
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Most times if you sub the company will make you sign a "non compete" clause
    which means you cannot compete against them on the same business
    Sub rates vary as much as prices to plow do.
    Usually around $40-$60 an hour
  12. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

good to see another person from wisconsin on the site im in kenosha
    i made some ads that i offer 1/2 price on first visit with snow removal agreement hope to gain some accounts that way
  13. a1lawnandsnow

a1lawnandsnow Junior Member
    from Racine

I run a small family buisness in Racine WI and am actually overbooked and am looking for some small help with snowblowing and shoveling some small residentials. You can E-mail me at a1lawnandsnow@yahoo.com with your hourly pay requirements for shoveling properties there all within a 3 block radius. Maybe we could help eachother thanks.