1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scott30, Jan 11, 2014.

1. scott30

scott30 Junior Member

Hey guys, I live in Missouri and I'm new to snow removal. I just started this year and i've been using snow blowers, so far its worked out pretty good. I want to upgrade to a plow next year. Any thoughts on what I should buy and how much I should be charging to make it worth my while?

2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

This may come off as harsh but how can you expect anyone to suggest a plow for you when we have no idea what truck you drive and what your needs are.

We get tons of new guys like you every year who post a thread like this and we are the ones who have to ask all of the questions.

Second pricing is different everywhere. However if you told us what you were charging now then maybe someone could help you out but with what you have told us no one can answer any of your questions.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The prettiest shinyest most expensive plow out there. And charge 1,000 an hour.:)

4. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

Ya what he said per push with .25" trigger

5. scott30

scott30 Junior Member

I've been in the lawn care business for 9 years and we currently have 2 1500 pickup trucks in our fleet. We are charging a minimum of $30 right now and have one bigger property that we charge $50 for snow removal. I have one part time employee besides myself. I'd like to get into some smaller parking lots next year. I mow several commercial properties but I had to turn them down for snow removal because I didn't have the equipment

6. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

how many properties do you service?

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

See what dealers you have in the area. Find out who has a good inventory of parts and is also open or will be open when the storm is going trough if you break something.

8. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

This is a must.

Also, it could be extremely beneficial for you to sub for a quality contractor to a year or two to learn the ropes. How things are done, how he deals with customers, etc.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since your the 'show me" state I guess you'll have to pay me to come there .:)

10. scott30

scott30 Junior Member

mowing we service about 64 properties and snow we only service about a dozen since i wanted to start small and not overload myself