1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to snow removal..what should I bid on a aptment complex

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Pde123, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Pde123

Pde123 Junior Member

I am new to snow removal and am not sure how much I should charge, here in southern mn for plowing and shoveling. Per visit? Seasonal? Per inch? This is for a residential place. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Here's a couple questions that the answers wood bee helpful.
    Do ewe have a G/L policy for snow removal?
    Have ewe figured oot you're operating cost?
    What equipment do ewe have to do the job?
    Size of area to be plowed/shoveled? Ewe can use Find Lot Size http://www.findlotsize.com/?place=Enter+Address+of+Place&submit=Go&r=e and enter the address to find oot how big the area is. Posting a screen shot wood bee helpful.
    At what point are you going to plow, 1", 2", 3", 4" of accumulation?
    Are you spreading salt/de-icer, are you using bulk or bagged, do ewe have an idea of cost of the materials?
    Per visit / per push is the easiest way to price, seasonal pricing requires researching annual snow fall and frequency history to come up with a cost
    Is there room to stack/pile snow or does it need to be hauled off or relocated elsewhere on the property?

3. Pde123

Pde123 Junior Member

Like I said I'm very new to snow removal. What is a G/L policy ? How would i come up with a seasonal price for how much snow we get per snowfall...unsure how much more should charge per inch? 5 inches over 10? Thanks

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Insurance.....general liability. . . search for seasonal snow fall rates. I'd personally suggest plowing for a company first time get you feet wet

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

You should go work/sub for someone for a year or two. Ask lots of questions. Then try going out on your own.

BUFF and dieselss like this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Enough to cover your labor, overhead and profit.

Randall Ave, BUFF and ktfbgb like this.
  7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Apartment complex will ask for workmans comp. With the shoveling you will not be a sole operation. Answer buff's ?'s above and you will get some help. When you say new are you meaning to the bidding and biz end? Have you ever moved snow before? I hate to discourage anyone but it will take you longer to learn how to plow than the biz end. If you never plowed dieselss advice should be considered.

If you never plowed before 30min. Job could take you 1 1/2hr. To be productive you need to know where to put snow, Stack snow, and angle your blade correctly to wind row and not chase windrows all day. How do you intend on salting?

You have to be available 24-7 including holidays. Whats your back up plan if you break down etc?

BUFF and dieselss like this.
  8. cgrizzle3929

cgrizzle3929 Junior Member

I'm the same boat. I bought a lawn and landscaping company and now I won a bid for a condo and high rise apartment. The total square ft is 169000. I do not have to do the sidewalks only plowing and salting. I quoted 1 to 4 inches at 500 per and 4 to 8 at 975 salting 425. My question is with my bid I do not know what trigger they want. So how does this whole thing work? If it's 2 inch trigger I come out at 2 inches and plow but if it's a storm and I have to repeat do I charge every time? Or do I only charge say my 4 to 8 price if we get 6 inches even if I plow 3 times. I'm not sure how it works I just had some connections to know what they wanted to see.

9. Randall Ave

169000 of pavement, or that's the size of the complex. Have you ever plowed anything this size before?

10. Mark Oomkes

Ummmm, 4 acres for $500? Apartments and condos?

And I'm not even sure where to start with the rest.

I hope you're joking.

11. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

One very important question....How did you come up with these numbers???...Dart board or out your backside??

loafer4christ and cgrizzle3929 like this.
  12. Mark Oomkes

Culd bee both.

LapeerLandscape likes this.
  13. Randall Ave

Read it again, you already won the bid. This should have been spelled out. See above

14. Defcon 5

Ok...I have calmed down...

Couple of questions...How do you "Win" the bid if you don't know the trigger??

Also...What are your salt cost??

What are you using to plow this four acres??

How long do you think it will take to plow this 4 acres with said equipment??

This is the time of year where the word Befuddled comes into my vocabulary

15. cgrizzle3929

Haha always enjoy everyone's comments negative or positive. I knew what the lowest bid was besides mine from a large company. Salt is 85 a yard. Right now until it increases but I'm going to buy bulk. The other bids did not list a trigger either that's why I didn't specify. Thanks every comment is appreciated. Also I'm in Michigan. With the comments I seen are you guys saying this is expensive or cheap?

16. Defcon 5

$85 a yard???....You sure about that...As for your bid..Cant really comment on that..Dont know what your using or your costs

17. cgrizzle3929

According to the people selling salt. Once again is that too high or too low

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

First oof pricing varies regionally, you're location wood defuse a lot of comments aboot the cost structure or open up Pandora's box.....
    For a lot that size plan on spreading aboot 3-4K of salt depending on conditions and location. Your salt price is low unless you're getting it for under $50/ton.
    Since the pricing starts at 1" this is you trigger, ewe charge every time ewe plow and charge the amount for the amount that has accumulated. Did they give ewe any idea as to how they want two have the property serviced/ how often they want the lot plowed?

19. Pde123

Pde123 Junior Member

I do not have insurance or liability..was considering getting it? And I'm not exactly sure what for a trigger...do I give him a trigger amount or ask him what he wants? Is it better to have a smaller trigger amount? I have worked for 2 outdoor service company's shoveling snow...never plowed before tho..I would rather not go work for them or someone again and make next to nothing if I didn't have too...is it that difficult or is there a lot to learn when it comes to plowing? Also yes I'm new to the biz end of it. I don't want to over bid the guy and loose it i need the work but also need to make some money..

20. Pde123

Pde123 Junior Member

Thanks for the comments and advice. It's very appreciative