1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to snow removal looking for advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Yardcrew, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Yardcrew

Yardcrew Junior Member

Hey guys been in the lawn and landscaping Industry for 8 yr finally decided to make the step to snow removal. Had a few commercial properties asking for bids. I live in the panhandle of Texas where we don't get lots of snow so I'm not looking to invest tons of money in this. I already own a 03 gmc 2500 4x4 and an 85 ford bronco was considering mounting a plow to one of these I bought a nice snow blower last year. Just looking for advice for the best begginer plow. I was thinking of buying used to start to see if I like this before investing a whole lot. Please any advice is help full

2. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Every brand has it's pro's and con's

First step is to find a dealer near you.

Important if you need parts right away to fix the plow if something happens.

Then look at what they have for mid weight plows.

Then you either buy it new or look for a used one.

Size counts in clearing snow.

You put a 7.5 on your truck it will take longer to clear a lot then if you had a 8.5 on it.

If you can swing it, I do recommend getting a V-plow.

I used straight for over 7 years and then switched 2 years ago to a V and I will never go back.

The V decreased my plowing time and it is just so versatile.

A V can be a straight blade, but a straight blade can never be a V.

Good luck

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015